'98 Neon - Not "fixing" lifters - Bad?

A few weeks back, the check engine light came on for my '98 Plymouth Neon. I took it into the shop, and mentioned that I'd noticed a "pinging" from the engine, especially when it was cold in recent weeks. I wasn't sure if that was part of the check engine light situation or not.

Well, it turned out they weren't related. The check engine light was a wiring problem, and I had that fixed. But the service rep said that the mechanics said that the pinging was due to a problem with the lifters, and that I should have them (I think she said replaced?) and it would be in the $700-$800 range. She also recommended a tune-up at the same time.

Seeing as the car is getting on in age, and has nearly 130,000 miles, the cost of this service would nearly be the value of the car. We decided not to have the service done, and to start looking for a new car.

What I'm wondering is, what will be the long-term results of not having the lifters serviced? What exactly are "lifters"?

Since the car has been back from the dealer, I haven't noticed the pinging nearly as much as I was before. I'm hoping that the sound stays away until I can trade it in.

Any comments appreciated.

Reply to
news082702

There are NO valve lifters in a Neon! Lifters are used on cam-in-block engines. Yours is SOHC or DOHC.

Reply to
Richard Ehrenberg

"Richard Ehrenberg

You're correct on a semantic technicality. There is a component called a lash adjuster that serves precisely the same purpose as a lifter, so much so that it is commonly referred to as a lifter. Case in point: If you go on the web site of a Chrysler dealer that has a drill-down parts lookup, they list "lifters" for the OHC engines including the Neon's.

Again - technically, you are correct, but when someone is talking about an OHC engine and refers to "lifters", anyone who knows anything knows what they are referring to, and admittedly many do not know that it is technically incorrect. Those who do generally do not go to the trouble to correct them.

I should talk - I always correct people (here and elsewhere) when they make the common mistake of giving torque numbers in pounds. 8^)

All that having been said, care to comment on the service rep's comment about the lash adjusters?

Bill Putney