'99 Caravan 3.3 Coolant Leak

I'm mystified where this leak is coming from. Here's what I see.

Driver's side and to the rear. I see puddling on a little ledge below where the rear head and engine mate and just in front of where the exhaust manifold connects to the exhause crossover. I can see it from above when looking past the exhaust crossover pipe with my right elbow resting on the battery and my left resting on the frame right in front of the radiator.

The view isn't very good because of the crossover pipe and the air intake conduit and all that stuff. I just can't see any evidence of leaking above or near that one point where it's puddling. What I can see of the heater hoses looks dry. So I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Thanks, David

Reply to
David J. Allen

I have a 94 GC with a 3.3. I had a mysterious leak. It turned out to be the head gasket.

It is NOT a common problem on this engine, from what I have read. However, it DOES happen. I used to have to top up my coolant every couple of weeks.

After the Head Gasket was replaced, I have not had to touch to coolant in six months.

Take it to a reputable shop and have them put it on a hoist. Where mine was leaking there was a white residue which could clearly be seen from behind and under the engine.

If you are going to replace the head gasket, use the Chrysler part - superior quality at a cheaper price.

The job was about $1000 CDN$ (would be $600 - $800 US??? equiv.)

YMMV

hth

Cloaked

Reply to
Cloaked

Hello: double check the head gasket,also if you have re air and heat their could also be a leak in the rear coolant lines to the rear heater core. THANK YOU EARL

Reply to
Guess Who I Am

Yup. Turned out to be the head gasket. Never seen a head gasket leak to the outside before. Yuk.

Reply to
David J. Allen

If its just leaking on the ouside, I used the Aluma-Seal Powder made by solder seal. I am not an advocate of a mechanic in a can but this stuff works wonders. I used in my 94, 3.3 GC in 1999 when the coolant was leaking where the timing cover bolts to the block I presently have 192,000 miles on this vehicle and have not had a drop since. This was a temp fix in February 99 when the temp was about 10 degrees, just waiting for the weather to warm up. It worked so well I just left it.

I also use this stuff in an 89 Cavalier 2.8 V-6 which has a cracked head also leaking just on the outside (very common on these engines) and it also has worked great for the past 5 years. It sure beats $1000.00 just to stop a coolant leak when you really think about it. Good luck and give it a try, its only about a $1.50, well worth the gamble.

Thanks, Butch

Reply to
Anton382

Thanks for the tip. I have to be honest here.... this is my friends van and they already took it in. I sure as heck would rather have paid $1.50. Are there unpleasant side effects to using this stuff?

Reply to
David J. Allen

To date I have found no drawbacks. (the guy getting $1000.00 to replace the head gasket may not like it) It is supposed to harden when it gets hot and hits air. I heard people say it will clog heater cores and engines etc, but I have seen non of that in the past 5 years and almost 200,000 miles.

In fact last weekend I had to replace the lines going to the rear heater core, and saw no build up at all in the metal lines or hoses. Both heaters in my van work great so I'm sold on this stuff. It comes in a clear plastic tube and looks like Aluminum Powder, and you put it in your cooling system. I worked in an auto parts store in the late 60's till about 1978 and back then it was real popular with the "Old Timer" type of mechanics. When I started having my problem and saw that it was still made, I thought I would give it a try and had great success in both of my applications.

Good Luck, Butch

Reply to
Anton382