Why bad mpg in PT Cruiser??

I bought a very clean 2001 PT Cruiser with 24K on it. I filled the tank and drove it for 125 miles in suburban driving (12 miles north of Pittsburgh) and then put another 60 miles on it on I-279/I-79 for a total of 185 miles. I filled the tank, it took 11.5 gallons which comes to 16 mpg. I know you don't get the sticker mileage (20 City, 25 Highway) but 4 mpg less than the listed city mpg doesn't make sense. What could be wrong with car??

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

filled the tank and

of Pittsburgh) and

of 185 miles. I

mpg. I know you don't

less than the listed

A malfunctioning sensor?

FWIW, I get 27mpg on the highway with my 2003 model.

Al

Reply to
Soars with Turkeys

BTW, I posted this a couple days ago, it didn't show up. So I reposted it, and now both posts are up. Sorry for the redundancy.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

Does your state do emissions testing? If so, have it tested and see if it's within limits.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Pittsburgh)

For whatever reason, some new vehicles out there with huge V8's and lots of weight, seem to do as well as the Cruiser in the mpg department. My 2001 Limited I have owned since new averages about 18 mpg and the best I have ever done is about 23 mpg on the highway. It is an automatic with the latest computer flash programs and yes I keep the tires inflated.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

The PTCruiser was designed to be very strong and is heavy.

Reply to
Art Begun

How does its power to weight ratio compare with other cars?

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Reply to
mic canic

.................. the nut that holds the steering wheel.

Reply to
mark hoffman

SEARCH THE FORUMS. This has been asked and answered many times. snipped-for-privacy@aol.com Delete 'itsa' if sending E mail.

Reply to
LARSPAINTR

Nothing is the matter, you are not going to always get what the sticker says, depending on the fuel quality, ambient temps, city and hill driving, thers nothing wrong with your vehicle

Reply to
damnnickname

I love my 2001 Limited Automatic Cruiser. But there are 4 things I would like to see changed.

  1. More power on regular fuel.
  2. Better fuel economy.
  3. Tighter turning circle.
  4. Overhead display that changed brightness with the light switch (like the radio display and other Chrysler models).

Richard.

Reply to
Richard