a500 - 42rh trany help

I have a 1991 Dodge Ram 50 automatic 2 wheel drive truck with the A500 type 42rh trany in it. It has problems shifting up after you start it (once it shifts threw all the gears it works fine) and the reverse band is bad, so i cant back up now. I am told i need to have it rebuilt and evewhere i check they want $1500 to $2000 to fix it and that is more then i paid for the truck! I am checking around in salvage yards trying to find a replacement trany and haveing a very difficult time because it seems that the dodge ram 50 is pretty rare in my area.

Can someone tell me what other vehicals i could be asking about that have this/compatible trany or if you have any other ideas?

Thanks!

Reply to
DjinnRutger

IT'S not a ram 50 thats the small Mitsubishi truck. Try looking at Ram

1500/ Ram van 1500 / Dakota. As far as reverse, drop the pan & check the strut-bar between the band & adjuster it may be broken or if you are lucky maybe the band is way out of adjustment & the strut fell out If the end of the band is broken it's rebuild time. The A500 came out in 1989? is a varaient of the earlier A904/999 with an added overdrive, USED in many of the rear wheel drive vehicles. Be aware when looking Jeeps used some oddball transmissions.
Reply to
sqdancerLynn

THROUGH

HAVING

VEHICLES

Ever try pulling the pan and seeing what's going on in there? You might have a varnished up valve body for all you know. Sounds like someone's never done any trans maintenance, and your reverse band is either way too loose, or the anchor's cracked.

Activate the spell checker in your newsreader, while you're at it.

Reply to
DeserTBoB