Any Chrysler Mechanics frequent this NG?

What vehicle? what year?

Reply to
TNKEV

I need to know what is the standard procedure recomended to Jeep dealers in replacing airbags - esspecially- is it recomended to replace the steering column also (after an airbag deployment)?

Carl Johansson

Reply to
Birdbrain13

All vehicles are different...what year and make?? And depending on the severity of the accident the steering column could be replaced also.

2003 Cherokee Any vehicle which is to be returned to use following a supplemental restraint deployment, must have the deployed restraints replaced. In addition, if the driver airbag has been deployed, the clockspring must be replaced. If the passenger airbag is deployed, the instrument panel top pad must be replaced. On vehicles so equipped, the seat belt tensioners are deployed by the same signal that deploys the driver and passenger airbags and must also be replaced if either front airbag has been deployed. If a side curtain airbag has been deployed, the complete airbag unit, the headliner, as well as the upper A, B, C and D-pillar trim must be replaced. These components are not intended for reuse and will be damaged or weakened as a result of a supplemental restraint deployment, which may or may not be obvious during a visual inspection.

The passenger airbag mounting points on the instrument panel structural duct must be closely inspected for damage, and the instrument panel assembly replaced if structural duct damage is evident. On vehicles with an optional sunroof, the sunroof drain tubes and hoses must be closely inspected following a side curtain airbag deployment. It is also critical that the mounting surfaces and/or mounting brackets for the Airbag Control Module (ACM) and the front and side impact sensors be closely inspected and restored to their original conditions following any vehicle impact damage. Because the ACM and each impact sensor are used by the supplemental restraint system to monitor or confirm the direction and severity of a vehicle impact, improper orientation or insecure fastening of these components may cause airbags not to deploy when required, or to deploy when not required.

All other vehicle components should be closely inspected following any supplemental restraint deployment, but are to be replaced only as required by the extent of the visible damage incurred.

Glenn Beasley

Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

quoth he.... :

Reply to
Jack Idler

Go to your local cooperative Jeep dealer and spend five minutes reading the service manual.

There is a self-professed Chrysler tech here in group ("maxpower") but he's demonstrated himself to be a very UNreliable source of information.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

That came from the shop manual asshole

Reply to
maxpower

I've seen shop manuals that stink, but in over 36 years have never located the orifice in question.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

information.

Daniel can help with that

Reply to
maxpower

Priceless.

I'm still laughing.

Reply to
MoPar Man

Reply to
mic canic
2002 Liberty sport 4wd
Reply to
Birdbrain13
2002 liberty sport 4wd
Reply to
Birdbrain13

Yes the steering column has to be replaced in a Liberty after a driver side air bag deployment,as far as procedure I have no answer I'am a mere Service Advisor,I can tell you what you need and how much it costs but I can't tell you how to do it! my answer would be take it to the dealer,or body shop wich ever the case may be.I guess you are getting a second opinion here?

Reply to
TNKEV

Just curious, where did you find that Info from? and do you work for a CPD dealer?

Reply to
maxpower

Yes I do work for a dealeship,and have had Libertys come from a body shop with the air bag light on and was told by chrysler that the steering column must be replaced when they are involved in an accident that deploys the driver side air bag. why??

Reply to
TNKEV

liberty/Service info/electrical/restraints/standard procedure/service after deployment/ there is nothing that says the Steering column needs to be replaced in an accident, I was just curious as to why Chrysler told you that. Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech STANDARD PROCEDURE - SERVICE AFTER A SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT DEPLOYMENT

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
mic canic