Jeep, Chrysler quality and cust. service - YUCK

I have a 2002 liberty sport with the off road and towing package. So far while I am very happy with the engine - the rest of the vehicle is a POS. And Chrysler has been a nightmare to deal with.

At 60 K miles - I was standing outside the vehicle talking to my neighbor - when both airbags explode! I call chrysler - they want to send an engineer to look at it and "investigate". 2 weeks later I get my vehicle back - The report apparently said they didn't know why the bags exploded - but I did nothing to cause the problem. In the meantime I had to rent a vehicle for transport (if I had turned it in to my insurance I would have had the car back on the road in 2 days - but I thought I was doing chrysler a favor. It only took me 6 months to get reimbursement for the rental vehicle.

Now the tilt wheel is flopping all over the place - turns out Chrysler is using a non rebuildable column and typically an airbag deployment wrecks the column. So now I have to get that fixed - and of course chrysler says that there is "no evidence" that the bad steering column was caused by airbag deployment.

The seat belt receptacle also quit working because of the plastic "shoe" around the buckling mechanism. So now I have to replace that ! (chrysler says 400 bucks - ?)

This thing is going up for sale - it's the last chrysler I will ever own - the germans can go find someone else to ignore their poor service and poor quality!

Carl "soon to be jeepless" Johansson

Reply to
Birdbrain13

Sounds like you are getting the runaround somewhere,but I would think that seat belt issues would be covered under some warranty, I would go to another dealer. the steering column in a Liberty *does* need to be replaced after airbag deployment,I don't know why a chrysler engineer wouldn't know that.

Reply to
TNKEV

Something doesn't sound right. I've had nothing but good experiences with Chrysler working through the very few issues I've even had with them over nearly 20 years of buying their vehicles. Perhaps trying a different dealer...look for the "5-star" rated dealer. Good luck!

Reply to
James C. Reeves

What does the "5-star" rating signify? I had less-than-outstanding experiences with two "5-star" dealers, and the last time I looked, one of them no longer had that rating (and therefore did not show up in the "find a dealer" listing when we were looking for a new vehicle).

What does a dealer have to do to get (and lose) that rating?

Perce

On 02/11/05 11:11 pm James C. Reeves tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Well I know the dealer is crap - thats common knowledge around here - but it was the really arogant and shoddy treatment by Chrysler (in auburn Hills or wherever) that really suprised me!

Reply to
Birdbrain13

Not a thing.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Surprises me to. I hope it isn't a general trend.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I believe they have to qualify annually (or at least periodically). I don't know the specifics, but I believe customer satisfaction surveys, return visits for the same repairs, condition of the shop, etc. are part of the equation. The dealer I use has been a 5-star dealer for as long as I can remember. You can eat off of their shop floor and I have not had a single occurrence when any repair wasn't done right the 1st time (and that's over nearly 20 years and several cars/van's/trucks). A little expensive, but worth it when those are the results.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

My Chrylser dealer is quite good but another 5 star one sucks. So I would agree the stars mean nothing.

Reply to
Art

Fuck you, dealer.

Reply to
Cashew

Absolutely NOTHING

Reply to
Cashew

The five star rating means that they have factory trained and certified technicians

they would lose that rating if they refuse to train thier employees.

Reply to
TNKEV

Actually all Chrysler dealers have to have Factory trained technicians.

Reply to
David

And that contribution is helpful, exactly how?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Reply to
mic canic