Automatic transmission leaking

96 Jx Sebring conv. 4 cyl, 4-speed trans, 117K miles. Leaks a bit of fluid now, shows up towards the back of the engine, dripping from the engine oil pan drain nut. Definitely trans fluid. Constantly topping it off. Does this trans have the same solenoid block as the 96 van, or some other item that can be fixed easily? Or am I looking at a main seal? Thanks for any help.
Reply to
Rick

My '94 LHS is leaking from the same place. I've read on the internet (some Chrysler dedicated website that I can't recall at this moment), and have been told by a couple of tranny shops that a rebuild is in order. In case you're curious, the cost is ~$1400 for a local shop to rebuild my unit or ~$2200 for them to replace with a Chrysler remanufactured unit.

Reply to
Steve Raft

My LHS had some issues with the xmission leaking around the pan as well. In my case it turned out that since I was changing the fluid every 20k miles (all bolts torqued to spec btw) that the threads were stripping out. We've helicoiled the crap out of the bolt holes (at least 3/4 are now done) and it has been fine for the 12k miles since the last fluid/filter change. But, tomorrow is it's last day as my new company ride has shown up. 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT II. Saw it at the dealer yesterday ! Nice car. Hope it holds up as well as the LHS. I'll miss it.

Steve m.... (Pittsburgh, Pa) Ps... Anybody want to buy a nice, well maintained 94' Chrysler LHS in mint condition ? Email me @ snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com

Reply to
Steve m...

It doesnt seem worth it to replace the trans at 120K miles. I looked at a 2004 Limited candy apple red with a slate top, 6K miles demo at my dealers, for $26,500. Probably doesnt sell too many in Dec.

Reply to
Rick