2000 Chrysler Cirrus Transmission problems

I have a 2000 Cirrus LXi with 39,948 miles and suddenly when it is cold the tranny slips for a moment when I initially take off. It is ok after that. This is a 2.5 V6 that I bought new.

Anyone know or had any problems with the transmission?

Thanks op

Reply to
V8TR4

Check the fluid level using instructions in the owner's manual (check transmission hot after driving in all gears while idling in neutral with parking brake set). Slow engagement, especially when cold is a possible sign of low fluid level.

If the fluid level is in the OK range and near the top mark, then I'd suggest getting the fluid and filter changed. This requires dropping the trans pan and is messy since there is no drain plug and they use RTV sealant (no real gasket from the factory). At your vehicle's mileage, I'd suggest dropping the pan, cleaning out the gunk at the bottom using brake cleaner and a clean rag or paper towels, removing and cleaning the pan magnet at the bottom, and then replacing the filter, then reassembling using the re-useable metal/silicone gasket (Chrysler dealer item) and then refilling with fresh ATF+4 fluid (also dealer item).

If this does not fix the problem, it could be an electric solenoid sticking, but since it usually works I doubt this is the problem. Look at the fluid first before you spend major $$$.

These transmissions can be finicky (use only the correct fluid and no additives), but the reliability has vastly improved if they are properly maintained. I drop the pan and do this on all 4 of my Chrysler transmissions every 30-36K miles. One has 128K, and the others less, but no major trans problems to date on any of them.

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman