Bankruptcy and Reorganization for Detroit?

That was my recollection too.

Reply to
Bill Putney

Well.... the logical consequence of globalisation in the long term would indeed tend towards parity of wages.

They aren't poverty wages in their own countries of course.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It would tend toward poverty wages, more likely.

Well, they may not exactly be starving (maybe), but... its not likely they have a Mitsubishi Laservue in the living room, maybe not even air conditioning. That latter thing is something I think we should try to avoid here.

Reply to
Dave Head

Air conditioning?

Reply to
Bill Putney

Yeah, air conditioning, as in not having it. That would seriously suck here in Virginia. It would suck worse, the farther south of Virgina you get.

Reply to
Dave Head

Ahh - OK - I thought you were saying we should avoid having a.c. I'm in VA too - yes - humidity, but not as bad as SC, GA, and FL.

Reply to
Bill Putney

My house didn't have A/C when we bought it in 2006. I didn't think the summer of 2007 was *that* bad - the first place I ever lived in with A/C was the apartment I rented in 1997. I guess I'd just gotten used to "summer = sit around in boxer shorts inside." The lot is pretty wooded so the house didn't get nearly as hot as you'd think. I also do not have a vent fan in the attic (things to do in the spring) which I suspect will help some when I get it installed. But we did get A/C installed last fall so this summer was much nicer, I have to admit.

I bet if I lived significantly farther south I'd want it for sure though. I have no idea how people lived in places like Arizona without A/C - my damnyankee upbringing and Germanic DNA just don't like the hot weather.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

For everyone.

I doubt their living room would accomadate one. Is it actually something critical to your lifestyle ? I barely watch the box these days.

When it's hot in Mumbai they sleep on the roof at night.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Oh they have that in the offices in Mumbai. Even in upmarket homes.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Yeah, this is the sort of nonsense that unions exist for.

Me either, but the fact that a US auto worker could afford one is the important point.

Without the auto industry, I think things are going to get really, really ugly.

Wonder what they do when they're trying to cook something, or run the computer when it's 105 degrees F out?

Reply to
Dave Head

Humidity makes a lot of difference. I grew up in VA, and presently live there. I lived in Denver for 6 years and Florida for 3. I repeat - humidity makes a big difference (see "psychrometric charts"). 100 degrees in Denver or Arizona feels a whole lot different than 100 degrees in Virginia or Pensacola. In one place, 100 degrees is bearable, maybe enjoyable, in the other, it can be oppressive.

It was unusual for a house in Denver to even have an a.c. unit - you just didn't need it. You might wish you had one late in the afternoon, but by 8 or 9 o'clock in the evening, you were comfortable - not true in the humid areas.

Reply to
Bill Putney

critical to your

I can't see it all going. The again, with the management the way it is ......... Maybe the Chinese or Indians will buy it ?

The new middle classs than can afford computers tend to have at least some a/c.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

indeed tend

critical to your

......... Maybe the

Why would they? All the factories are still in the areas where unions are strong. If they tried to hire from those areas, the places would be unionized overnight.

Window unit, probably.

Reply to
Dave Head

......... Maybe the

But these are the exact businesses you've suggested we keep going with a $7500 subsidy on the GM electric car. Please explain. Yes, please do.

Reply to
edward ohare