can anyone who knows chrysler SHUDDERING problems help?

I have an 89 lebaron conv. with the 2.5L turbo engine and 4-speed auto. transmission. I have nearly gone crazy trying to figure out WHY this car shudders so violently upon acceleration. So far BOTH motor mounts, THE SINGLE transmission mount, transmission fluid (changed once), BOTH front wheel bearings, and steering rack (assembly or whatever its called) have all either been replaced or checked as OK. I would VERY VERY GREATLY appreciate any help to solve this problem. THANK YOU.

Reply to
marks89lebaron

No, you don't. Either you have a 3.0L V6 with 4-speed auto transmission, or you have a 2.5L turbo with 3-speed auto transmission.

Cannot figure out what would cause someone to suspect the steering rack or wheel bearings for this problem, which is probably being caused either by one or more faulty inner CV joints or an internal transmission fault.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

. Assuming you isolated the front tires as not being the problem I would check the right inner cv joint for wear, The tripod and housing is more then likely worn out, This will cause a severe vibration on acceleration.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Depending on what he mean's by "shuddering", my '87 (2.2 turbo) has had episodes of horrible misfire on acceleration cause by a neglected PCV valve and by failed spark plug wires.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I have an 89 lebaron conv. with the 2.5L turbo engine and 4-speed auto.

No, you don't. Either you have a 3.0L V6 with 4-speed auto transmission, or you have a 2.5L turbo with 3-speed auto transmission.

Cannot figure out what would cause someone to suspect the steering rack or wheel bearings for this problem, which is probably being caused either by one or more faulty inner CV joints or an internal transmission fault.

It's always interesting when someone else knows about my own things better than I do, and you're absolutely right about the car having a 3-speed transmission. Don't know what I was thinking (or maybe I wasn't). As far as the wheel bearings and steering rack are concerned, I acquired this tid-bit of info. from the chryslerlebaronclub. And to tell you the truth, after many hours of trying to trace the problem with no luck it's starting to look like I'll just have to accept the fact that chrysler didn't have their sh__ together back in 89 and deal with it until the tranny becomes part of the road.

Reply to
marks89lebaron

my car had a shudder. software upgrade to the TCM solved it. the electronically controlled clutch was upshifting too slowly caused the torque convertor to start to self-destruct and i thought something was wrong with the tires or suspension. probably not your problem, but just throwing this out since you said "any help"

also make sure correct fluid, ATF+3, yes?

Reply to
Treeline

Horseshit. Your '89 LeBaron should not shudder. If it does, it's because something's wrong. Systematic and proper diagnosis -- and not simple shotgunning of new parts -- will track down and resolve the problem.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Not applicable to the OP's car, which has the 3-speed hydromechanical automatic transmission (no TCM), not the 4-speed electronic.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

NO!

HarryS

well, if he really had the 4-speed electronic transmission, maybe someone just kind of dropped it in there if it fits... that's a good TSB you posted

Reply to
Treeline

That TSB says not to use ATF+4 in the '89 LeBaron. So what is your point?

Bill Putney

Oops - disregard my previous. Poorly writeen TSB.

Bill Putney

"marks89lebaron" wrote

their sh__ together back in 89 and deal with it until the tranny becomes

I had an 89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5 with 3-spd that was solid as a rock. I also had a 92 Shadow 5-speed that is still running great with almost 300,000 km (sold it to a friend 5 years ago). In many ways the period late 80s to early

90s were some of Chrysler's best years, before the Stratus/Breeze, '96 generation vans and Neon came along to drag things down.
Reply to
Dave Gower

It does not fit. There's no version of the 4-speed electronic that will mate to a 2.2 or 2.5 litre Chrysler 4-cylinder engine.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Does this shuddering appear to be sideways in motion and only during moderate acceleration or did it start out that way and progressively got worse? In that case suspect inner cv joints. This was my problem in a 93 Voyager and it took some time before i realised this. Including changing engine mounts. I am by no means an expert.

Torgeir

"Bill Putney" skrev i meld>

Reply to
torgeir jensen

Reply to
Dave

It shudders the most when the tranny shifts from 1st to 2nd gear, although it will shudder in the INITIAL 10 feet or so from a dead stop if I put my foot down hard enough. It's pretty frustrating. Walking can be even worse.

Reply to
marks89lebaron

Yeah, I used MOBILE ATF+3. Thirteen quarts to be exact because as of now I have changed the fluid three times just to make sure there wasn't any dexron left sneaking up in there somethere. The manuals fluid specs said it held four quarts. Read the manual, flushed and filled tranny three times. Fluid looks like a bright red cherry lolly-pop and yet, shhhuuuuddddeerrrrr.

Reply to
marks89lebaron

That's because the shudder IS NOT IN YOUR TRANSMISSION.

How many people have to tell you this, and how much money do you have to waste, before this gets through your skull?

Willfully-ignorant people like you are too stupid to deserve cars that work correctly.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern