trans. dipstick says use dexron III in 89 chrysler lebaron

Just about everyone on the net claims using dexron II ATF is hazardous to a chrysler auto. transmission. Yet right from the get-go chrysler manufacturers claim that Dexron II is the preferred ATF type for (at least this one) the 1989 chrysler lebaron. So its no wonder the transmission shudders and shakes like its going to fall from the car and onto the pavement. My question is, how much old dexron fluid is allowed to stay in the transmission? An ounce or two? Or is there a way to get every last drop of old fluid out?

Reply to
marks89lebaron

For the 3-speed auto in '89, yes, it's fine, though the current Dexron fluid is no longer Dexron-II. If you have the 4-speed auto, you MUST use ATF+, and *NOT* Dexron, regardless of what is stamped on the dipstick (which could easily have been replaced with a non-original item sometime in the last 16 years.)

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

HarryS

That TSB says not to use ATF+4 in the OP's car, right?

Bill Putney

Oops - is my face red. The TSB is written ambiguously - the vehicles listed in the *table* are *supposed* to have ATF+4 as refill. The exceptions are given in a sentence - the way it is written, one could think they meant that all vehicles in the table are *not* to use ATF+4, but I see vehciles in that list (like LH vehicles) that definitely are supposed to use it. Who writes those things!?

Bill Putney

"Bill Putney" wrote: > Bill Putney wrote: > > > HarryS wrote: > > >  >>

>  >>

I?ve used dexron III for the past 3k miles in my 97 T&C 3.8 with no negative effects. No shudder, no shift problems, no slips, no TCC problems.

Reply to
alec_b

Wow, three *whole* thousand miles, with no negative effects that you're aware of yet. That doesn't show that it's OK to use the wrong fluid, but it does clearly demonstrate that you're excessively rich, excessively stingy, or (probably) both.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

That is simply not correct. People say that Dexron is hazardous to the Chrysler ELECTRONIC 4-SPEED transmissions with computer-modulated lockup torque convertors. Those didn't even appear until 1989, and then ONLY in conjunction with the 3.3L v6 engine in selected car lines.

Dexron IS just fine for an 89 Chrysler 3-speed automatic.

You've changed everything but the CV joints, and everyone here has pointed out that inner CV joints are the #1 candidate for the symptoms you've described. Why don't you change them before blaming the transmission?

Reply to
Steve

Actually, Steve, the A604 electronic 4-speed was available with the 3.0

*and* 3.3 in '89, in *most* Chrysler Corp. vehicles with those engines. Including minivans. Including Spirits and Acclaims. Including Dynasties and New Yorkers.

True.

Because he obviously didn't post here for an answer to his question. He posted here to try and garner support for his own ignorant undiagnosis.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

My bad, then. I thought the 604 was 3.3 only, and Dynasty/NYer/Imperial and minivan only for 89.

Or maybe because the engine is now toast (as indicated by another thread...) ???

:-p

Reply to
Steve