charging problem with 93 dodge spirit - voltage regulator?

I replaced the alternator, ran a 20 miles test drive, and my wife drove the car the next day running errands. After approximately 10 start/stops, the voltage meter on the dash dropped from 14 V to about

11 V.

It is a reman alternator

Meter was in the correct mode - I measured a couple times, in several different resistance ranges.

-F

Reply to
NoNick

Do you find this impossible? Actually, it happens quite frequently.

If he's actually measuring the open circuit [battery] voltage, it means his battery is dead.

A fully charged 12 volt automotive battery should measure 12.66 volts.

Well, his first post mentioned that he had no idea what he was doing. He has no wiring diagram. He has vague understanding of how the system works. He has vague understanding of the external voltage regulator modification that he's attempting to perform.

I think he's set a new record for how long it should take to perform a 45 minute job.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Hopefully that's a typo, and you meant voltage ranges?

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Read a little closer. I've referred to the wiring diagrams several times

True, but a much better idea now

Seven lines into my first post, I mentioned as soon as the voltage dropped again I pulled the remanufactured unit out and had it tested. It passed, which has led us to where we are right now. Total labor until this point: about 3 hours, including 2 alternator ins & outs and a thermostat replacement. Hardly a record.

Besides, out of pocket cost so far: $160. I wonder what it would have been if I hadn't bothered to get my hands dirty...

-F

Reply to
NoNick

I meant resistance ranges. He was trying to measure the resistance across the two field studs.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

update: another alternator replacment resolved the problems. 500 miles and 2 weeks later, still running well. Thanks for all your help,

-F

Reply to
NoNick