99 Dodge Caravan Battery Light Stays On

Hi,

the battery light on my 99 Caravan 3.8 stays on. When I start the car it is off but about 5 secs later it is on and stays on.

I have replaced the battery and had the alternator checked. The both are ok.

I checked the voltage of that battery with the engine off and it was

12.5V. With the motor running the battery voltage was about 14.

Any ideas?

thanks

Alex

Reply to
alex

Time to get out the shop manual.

On a lot of cars, the battery light comes on when the voltage across the battery drops below a certain voltage. If the battery voltage is 14V, it's more than high enough. So my suspicion would be in the circuit in the instrument cluster that turns the light on. Or the wiring to the cluster where it detects the voltage.

This is the frustrating thing about not having a voltmeter on the panel.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey