New voltage regulator clicking

A few months ago the red light was coming on, especially at higher revs. I got the dynamo checked, that was ok, so I replaced the voltage regulator. That stopped the red light coming on, but, sometimes the new regulator clicks (sort of like the clicking from turning on a gas hob). Usually when it happens it is just 4 or 5 clicks then it stops, but sometimes it will keep on going until I turn something on to use more power (like the wipers or the radio). Anyone have any ideas why? I read a post a while ago about this and the answer was that the regulator needed replacing, but this is a brand new one. If I had the back seat in the car I probably wouldn't be able to hear the clicking. I have checked all the connections at the regulator and made sure that it has a good earth.

Reply to
Adam

I am very picky about voltage regulators for the aircooleds. Is this a Bosch unit?

dave

If the regulator clicks a few times when you rev the engine or when you let it idle or when you turn on or off the headlights, then this is normal. If you hear the relay clicking all the time at a certain rpm range and electrical system load, then read the following.

The original Bosch regulator had two relays in it. The first senses the current and the second (the one you hear clicking) senses the voltage and selects between two charging rates. If the voltage on the battery rises above a certain threshold (I think about

14.2V), the relay selects a lower charging rate. When the Voltage drops bellow another theshold (arround 13.8V) the relay selects the higher charging rate.

If your regulator clicks all the time at a certain rpm range and electrical system load, then one of the following might be happening:

1) Faulty or low quality regulator. This is the case where the two thresholds have not the correct values. For example, if the high threshold is 14.1V and the low threshold is 13.9V giving a smaller on-off margin, the relay would switch between charging rates much more frequently at a certain engine rpm range and electrical system load. If the thresholds have droped to e.g. arround 13.6V, the regulator would switch to lower charging rate as soon as engine revs are higher that idle, resulting in an under-charged battery. If the thresholds have rosen to e.g 16V, then the regulator would be constantly switched to high charging rate, boiling the battery and maybe frying the generator. If for some reason the regulator was overheated, the thresholds will have altered and you either need a new regulator or know how to readjust it.

2) Problem in the battery. An old battery, or a battery with low electrolyte level, will rise the voltage to it's terminals easilly and to higher voltage during charging than a fresh battery. When the charging stops or switches to a lower rate, the voltage drops more than on a fresh battery. This confuses the regulator, which clicks more because of the wider variation in the voltage of the battery.

Hope this helps,

Bill, '67 bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Thanks, The regulator is a Bosch one, the battery seems ok now but it had been left to go flat for a few months so I will try a new battery in it and see if that stops the clicking.

the clicks were happen> If the regulator clicks a few times when you rev the engine or when you

Reply to
Adam

It seems normal to me. Maybe it is just the seat you have removed...

Bill, '67 bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos