Chrysler dealers may see Volt fighter

September 19, 2008 - 1:11 pm ET

DETROIT -- In mid-August, members of Chrysler LLC's dealer council got a big surprise when the company let them drive an electric vehicle that could compete with Chevrolet's Volt hybrid.

On Tuesday, Sept. 23, the entire dealer body may get to see that car as part of a national dealer telecast at 100 theaters across the country.

Chrysler has invited dealers to participate in a large-scale national telecast -- something new for the company.

Last year, dealers traveled to a show in Las Vegas.

Steven Landry, executive vice president of North America sales, sent a memo Sept. 16 inviting dealers to the meeting and listing movie theaters in their area.

In the memo, Landry said dealers will see Chrysler's "clear vision for the future and share with you some exciting, cutting-edge product!"

Chrysler declined to confirm reports in The Wall Street Journal that an electric car would be shown during the telecast. The automaker has put its electric-vehicle development arm, called ENVI, on the fast track.

Chrysler showed three electric concept cars at the Detroit show in January.

Chrysler has said it will have seven new products in 2010 but has not said what they are, and co-President Jim Press has hinted at plans for an electric vehicle.

There are pressing issues on dealers' minds beyond new vehicles, including the credit crunch, Chrysler Financial's tough new rules on floorplan loans, aging inventory and consumer loans.

Reply to
rob

Chrysler is "promising" to deliver "soon". Wonder if they can deliver before they file C11 or C7? Real product for sale is quite unlikely.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

GM doesn't have a product for sale yet either.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Vaporware all around.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

You really do hate life, the universe, and everything, don't you? If you ever said anything positive, I'm sure it would amount to "I'm positive its going to be a rotten day."

Between GM and Chrysler, my money would sure be on Chrysler to get a new-tech vehicle out without too much word of it "leaking" beforehand.

Reply to
Steve

Dream on.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

At least Chrysler and GM are headed in the right direction. When they deliver we can comment on their electric cars.

Looking like I should buy shares in my favorite electric company.

Reply to
who

Their thoughts are in the right direction, but I won't hold my breath until it is ready for mass consumption.

Reply to
who

Mercedes is now saying they will build electric smarts too

Reply to
rob

That's smart of them, but where will they put the battery?

Reply to
who