Chrysler Roadside Assistance, no more

I noticed that Chrysler has deleted its Roadside Assistance during the basic warranty and optional service contracts on new vehicles. (They still include Towing Assistance to tow your car to the nearest dealer for a covered part.)

When did they remove the Roadside Assistance for new cars? Cars that still have existing roadside assistance through their warranty and/or svc contract should still be covered.

Did too many Chrysler cars need Roadside Assistance, or did they just figure that it cost more than customers valued the service?

Roadside Assistance was provided by Cross Country Motor Club, and they still manage the towing service.

Reply to
Greg Houston

When did people start "needing" this?

I drive old cars, and I've never wished I had a manufacturer's "roadside assistance" program to rely on.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I think the car companies have done a really good job of muscling in on the space that AAA used to occupy by itself, probably at greater cost to the consumer and with little additional benefit.

Personally, I carry a AAA card in my wallet, in case things really go to hell in a hurry. I don't 'need' manufacturer road side assistance any more than I need a tow truck parked in my back yard, waiting for the day I need it.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Bought a 2004 in November. It came with roadside assistance

Reply to
Bill 2

The Roadside Assistance Program went away with the '03 Model Year vehicles.

Purchasing a DaimlerChrysler Service Contract, does however, INCLUDE $100 "Sign and Go" Roadside Assistance for the term of the Service Contract.

If you ever need a jump start, run out of gas, lock the keys in the car or want someone to install a spare tire, all you need to do is call the 800 Number on your DCSC Gold Card. As long as the bill is less than $100 - you pay nothing.

Another benefit of the DCSC Plan that many people don't know about is that all current mechanical plans now include FIRST DAY Car Rental. Doesn't matter why the vehicle is in for service (Warranty, Service Contract, Recall or Retail Repair) you're entitled to a $30 Car Rental Allowance. (The only exception is collision/body repairs)

Sorry for the commercial......

Regarding your question about why DCX dropped the coverage from the Basic Warranty - I assume it was all about trying to save money.

Have a great week.

SBH

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Scott B. Hogle

I'm not sure about that as Cross Country has been around for at least a few decades. Besides AAA, there are plenty of other organizations that provide roadside assistance, including insurance and petroleum companies. I suspect AAA would charge much higher fees if they had no competition.

Reply to
Greg Houston

Whenever people have a flat tire on the freeway, lock their key in the car, have a low battery, otherwise have a bad day, etc.

That's great, but that doesn't make roadside assistance useless.

Reply to
Greg Houston

That's interesting. Maybe AAA has the market locked up more tightly in Michigan than in other places. I've never heard of anyone providing any real competition to them. Never heard of 'Cross Country', either.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

That's what the jack and spare is for.

That's what I carry a spare key in my wallet for.

That's why I have jumper cables.

Its a waste of money for nothing more than keeping your hands clean, as far as I'm concerned. Fast orange hand cleaner is cheap! :-)

Reply to
Steve

Mercedes cars come with roadside assistance which is free throughout western Europe, if I am not mistaken, so having it for Chrysler seems reasonable as a corporate policy.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

I guess it depends on how much is your life worth to you. Locally somebody was killed not too long ago as a result of doing nothing more than changing his tire alongside an Interstate when somebody plowed into him. That's a tough price for driving over a screw you'll never see. I'm not convinced that couldn't happen to me if I tried to change my tire alongside the freeway. And that's assuming there is a shoulder to park on, out of the travel lanes. A lot of places don't have that luxury, particularly in urban areas.

Toss in darkness, or a steep grade, or rain, or snow, and this sure isn't something I'd want my wife doing. If nothing else, a large tow truck with lots of blinking lights can block the path of errant vehicles. We have jumper cables of course, but they wouldn't do any good without something to connect them too. As for a spare key, it's sure a good idea to keep one in your wallet if you can, but I think the thick SKIM keys on modern Chryslers would give even George Costanza's wallet a run for its money. :)

Reply to
Greg Houston

You only need the fancy key in the ignition. If all you want to do is open the door, a $0.99 old flat Chrysler key will fit. You just won't be able to run the ignition.

Reply to
Bill 2

News flash: driving a car has risks! Everything in life does- there's no guarantee you won't get plowed into while standing well off the roadway waiting for the AAA guy to show up either, that has happened also. Or robbed, or mugged. I'll take changing my own tire after pulling to the safest position I can find ANY day over helplessly putting my fate in someone else's hands. I can do it and be GONE in 15 minutes- about half the time it would take "roadside assistance" to show up.

Reply to
Steve

I agree - but when I do need AAA service I wish I lived in an area where it only took 30 minutes or less for the tow truck to get to me. In the greater Los Angeles area the normal quote is 45 minutes to an hour.

Reply to
RPhillips47