Chrysler's Marketing Mistakes (Forbes)

ADR = Australian Design Rules, the Australian national vehicle and equipment safety code. It draws heavily on European ECE regulations, but with some modifications.

Lots of reasons. Government inertia, industry inertia, local financial and political interests...

DS

Reply to
Daniel J Stern

Australia's regulation on passenger restraints.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J Stern

But if you take the same mass and inflate it twice as fast, it hits you in the face much harder because your tissues and muscles have much less time to spread out and absorb the impact.

Sure, but if the computer decides that you weigh JUST a bit too much and it triggers it at full speed...

In the Euro versions, they all go at the slower speed. Last I checked, nobody is complaining about having their faces crushed by airbags over there - and the cars are just as safe IF you wear your seatbelt.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Thanks

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I BELIEVE that NEW HAMPSHIRE STILL does NOT require seat belts USE for adults.

Reply to
Richard Benner Jr

I am sure some of you have the tech details but (as I mentioned earlier) Euro airbags do not expand to the same size as US ones and now they also deflate almost instantly to reduce injury. (Is that the case with US devices?)

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Contrary to what one sees in the movies, the supplemental restraint bags do not remain inflated for more than and instant... in any country.

mike hunt

Dori Schmetterl>

Reply to
StonyRhoads

If indeed using a seat belt is a 'legal requirement' as you state, why do the Pennsylvania State Police not stop and cite every driver not wearing a belt?

mike hunt

Reply to
StonyRhoads

If the Pennsylvania law is written the way the law used to be in California, failure to use a seat in-and-of-itself will not merit a citation. However, if stopped for another violation it will be added. I think now in California the interpretation is left to the local jurisdiction. Additionally, are there so few vehicles in Pennsylvania to allow each Pennsylvania State Police Officer the time to check each individual driver and still continue with his/her duties?????

Reply to
RPhillips47

Maybe they can't afford to have everyone clogging up the legal system.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

--

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Less shouting. Thanks. :)

No, they were the last one. A few months ago, they fell in line. Hence, the ads you may have seen about "now that all 50 states require you to wear seatbelts..." that were run by one of the police safety organizations.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Last I knew it was an offense, and I forget the official name for it, that is only cited if you are stopped for another reason. It isn't grounds, in and of itself, to make a stop. This is in PA where I live, I can't speak for other states, although I think NY is similar.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Yep, we're just a backwoods state with only a few thousand cars and the rest using horse and buggy. But, hey, we aren't going bankrupt like CA! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Really? When was the last time you checked?

Reply to
RickMerrill

Depends on who "our" is. In some few locales, a seatbelt violation is a primary infraction. Yes, I can certainly see the "whoops, I guess he

*was* wearing his seatbelt after all, but what's this in the back seat?" implications of this, but apparently the legislators who passed such laws did not - or did not care.

Certainly such laws will cut down on the use of old, lap-only belted classics for transportation of illegal substances, although I wasn't certain that that was a problem in the first place.

nate

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

Maybe where you are, but the fine in California is considerably more - and the driver is cited for a front passenger not using a seat belt as well as kids in the back seat.

and continued:

You think so, huh??? Just wait!!!

Reply to
RPhillips47

That's cause you don't have Gray "Lies-Worse-Than-Clinton" Davis as your Governor.

Reply to
RPhillips47

About 3 months. Running a small deficit this year, but not anywhere near defaulting like CA.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Good point! I'm still thinking pre-Rendell days...

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting