Code 700

2001 limited 42000 miles

Just got a check engine light and parked the car for a couple of days until I could get around to it. Ran the codes and got a 0700. The list on

isn't all the helpful. It says for code 700 "The automatic transmission computer has a problem - ask it what's going on. I don't know. All I know is that the transmission asked me to turn on the MIL (malfunction indicator light). I did it, didn't I? So why are you bugging ME? ... you may have error code 1776, too. I'd check for that. It's patriotic and more informative." Funny, but not very useful. Code 1776 (which I DO NOT have) is "Chrysler Solenoid Switch Valve Latched in LR Position (this is a transmission issue which may involve replacing the valve body and solenoid pack; on some models there is a TSB on this problem so be firm with your dealer / Chrysler)."

Anybody have any experience with both or either of these codes and can give me an idea of what $$$ I might be looking at? I ask 'cause I know the AC is out and it is likely (almost for sure according to my mechanic (not a chrysler guy)) the compressor. The mechanic also said the there is a good chance the expansion valve will have to be replaced as well. That's 1000-1200 bucks in repairs and if I'm looking at another chunk o' change for transmission work I'm just going to sell it and get what I can.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
Kevin

The code description should have also said that more specific information could be pulled by the dealer using a DRB scanning tool.

Posts about this code occurring with no other symptoms occur on the 300M Club every once in a while. The consensus there is to clear the code and if it doesn't come back, ignore it. If it comes back, then pay the delaer to read the TCM with the DRB scanner.

FYI, of the several posts that mention this code on the 300M Club, a few times, it accompanied limp mode (likely a tranny speed sensor problem), but you didn't mention that in your case; some people reported no symptoms, but torque converter or solenoid pack failure shortly after the first appearance of the code (which is an argument for having the DRB scan done now in case you can head off more expensive problems); and some reported resetting it, and experiencing no problems or subsequent codes thereafter.

HTH. Oh - check fluid level.

Bill Putney

Just back from the Chrysler Dealer......

TCM Replaced Solenoid replaced (leaking)

850 bucks later (+ some more $$$ for some other issues) and I'm good.

Further information on the problem. The light came on when I was half a block from the house. I shut the car off, reset the gas cap (hey, ya' never know!) and turned the car back on. The CEL was still lit so I turned around, went home, got the other car and left the cruiser in the garage for a couple of weeks 'till I got around to it. Disconnected the battery for a few hours and the CEL didn't go away. When I drove to the dealer it was in limp mode.

Bill, thanks for your input on the problem. You are a great resource for the newsgroup.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Well, you're welcome! And thank you.