Complete Air Bag System Replacement for PTC

I have a 2001 PTC, 5 speed, 61k miles, only owner. No accidents or hits. Extended warranty (4yr/50k) expired in Feb 2005.

In June 2005 my air bag light stayed on and chimed when starting. Went to a local dealer. Diagnosed problem as bad harness. Said that only the passenger side air bag would not deploy. Estimated $700-800 range to fix. I declined due to lack of money at the time and that I rarely had a passenger.

In Aug 2006 decided to have it fixed as I might sell the car early next year. I went to a second dealer. They diagnosed same problem. Gave me option of harness replacement at around $800, or to hardwire it for $338. Went with the second option. 6 weeks later in Oct air bag came back on intermittently. Went back to dealer (90 day warranty on repairs). Since the light was not on at the time I brought it in the second time, they could not diagnose the problem, but did confirm that the air bag fault codes were in the computer to show that air bag light had gone off since the repair attempt. They told me to come in when the light was on. Did this yesterday over three weeks since second visit. They gave me an estimated repair cost (parts, labor, taxes) of $4900 or $4600 when subtracting my previous repair costs for this problem. They reset the computer fault codes and that light is off now. But for how long? I was told by dealer two?s service department that when the air bag light is on, none of the air bags would work in a crash. Not a pleasant thought.

What should I do about this? I think this is absurd. A major safety system failure that requires about ¼ of the value of what I paid for the car new. The service department admitted that they were only eight of one of the required parts in Chrysler?s entire parts inventory and that this failure was unheard of by him.

I feel I should not be stuck for this much to repair a manufacturer fault. Does anyone know the name/address of the regional Chrysler manager? I live in Las Vegas Nevada.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Reply to
Nobody

In the back of your owners manual

Reply to
damnnickname

Does Nevada have a "lemon law?" I think that the best that you could hope for would be arbitration, if it is offered in Nevada. Even if they side with you, the best that you could hope for would be for Chrysler to buy it back. If they do, they will do so at "fair market value." This would not be fair since the vehicle may be "unsellable" with a malfunctioning air bag system. They would also deduct an amount for mileage driven since they would argue that you have gotten "x" number of miles out of the vehicle.

There may be some legal avenues to explore too. I will let those that are legal savy respond to that possibility.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Doh! Guess the obvious is not always the first place to look. Thanks.

Reply to
Nobody

Some people don't like airbags. Try selling it to someone like that.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
philthy

If you paid via credit card for the first repair I'd file a chargeback with the card company and let the shop take me to small claims court. They would lose. A warranty is a warranty. If they cannot honor it, they have to refund your money.

The $4900 is a "go away and stop bothering me" quote. If they had originally told you either $338 or $4900 then that would be one thing. But they didn't. The deal you now need to make with them is "give me my $338 back and I'll go away and you won't have to deal with this repair, or I'll sue you" I would bet they would take it.

Why? The air bags do absolutely nothing if your wearing a seat belt. In fact, given a choice between being saved by an airbag and being saved by a seat belt, your going to suffer a LOT more damage to your body from the airbag.

Gee willikers, what did they do before air bags? Wow I guess everyone died in car wrecks!!! Sheesh!!!

Air bags are not a major safety system. They only protect people who are too stupid to wear seat belts, who arguably we would be better off if they were removed from the gene pool as a result of getting killed in car wrecks.

Seriously, your making a mountain out of a molehill. Did you know that there are car crashes where the airbags didn't deploy but they should have? Are you really going to trust your life to an air bag computer?

Frankly, I question the entire diagnosis. Obviously the fault is in the passenger airbag, right? If so, then a simple test would be to unplug the passenger airbag, and put in a resistor that would simulate the air bag ignightor then drive it around for a couple of weeks and see if the light came on again. That hasn't been done, why are they so sure its the harness?

I'll bet that some tech scanned the air bag computer, got passenger bag fault, unplugged the passenger bag, tested it with an ohmmeter, got continuity on the ignightor, and said "it must be the harness"

You could just as easily have a vibration-senstive ignitor in the air bag itself that is going intermittent. Or a bad air bag computer. Or bad contacts on the plug at the bag computer. There's a lot of much more likely things than the wiring harness.

Your only going to get stuck for that if you agree to pay it. And this is the same repair shop that did a warrantied repair that failed within the warranty time, and is now trying to stall you until past the warranty period it looks like. And your going to trust them with another repair?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

dude you have the wrong info about air bags! and alot of cars have pretensoners so that when a airbag deploys the seat belt places you in the proper position in the seat so it does not snap your neck when it does ignite the seat belts are a integrated part of the passive restraints system that's why they are called safety restraint system (srs) and now with side bags systems it's even more important to be bucked in when i was in high school a friend and i was racing a mustang with a cougar and after we won the drag we came into a corner to fast and went side ways at

90 and (we were told later that we were on 2 wheels) i looked out the pass window only to the ground 1 foot from the window, had i not had my belt on i more than likely would have fell out. so since then i have worn seat belts even before it was a law. 3 years ago i was driv> > I have a 2001 PTC, 5 speed, 61k miles, only owner. No accidents or
Reply to
philthy