Computers and cars

I am ok with using a computer and I'm ok with making simple repairs on cars. I just don't know the first thing when the two are mixed. I want to learn how to hook up a computer to a car and read and decipher codes. Can a laptop work with a serial cable and special software, or is there a special automotive computer that only the dealer shop has? Are there any how-to sites, manuals etc?

Please go easy on me, I'm new to this

Phil

Reply to
Phil Breau

"Phil Breau" wrote

easiest thing would be to buy a code scanner. Another possibility is: several Chrysler vehicles allow you to cycle the ignition key "on-off-on-off-on" within 5 seconds and will display codes on the odometer or blink the check engine light in code.

Codes will be listed in the service manual.

Reply to
Bill 2