Polo Engine Management Light

Hi all.

Question for any VW officionados.

My wife's got a 52 plate Polo 1.2. 3 cylinder 65PS version.

She's had some problems with the engine mangement light coming on. The=20 last time it happened was because of a coilpack failure. This time, she=20 called the RAC/AA out first time. They said it was a "Spurious signal=20 from the coolant temperature sensor".

They reset the alarm, but 2 weeks later it's back.

She took it to the local VW Stealer, and they hooked it up to read the=20 fault codes. This time it was...

17511 P1103 035 O2 Sensor Heater Circ. Bank 1 Sensor 1. Performance too=20 low, sporadic

16500 P0116 035 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit G62 Implausible=20 signal, sporadic.

When the MIL first came on, I guessed it was an O2 sensor problem, and=20 sure enough, there's one up there.

The questions are...

1) Is this a common problem on 1.2 Polos?

2) As an electronic engineer, when 2 sensors come up as "sporadic" and=20 "implausible", I start to think "bad connection, or serious quantities=20 of noise". Would a failing coil pack squirting HT/HV into the ECU cause=20 these problems?

3) If they really *are* the O2 and coolant temperature problems, how=20 hard are they to fit? With 2 hours diagnostics, they said it would be ~ 100 for the coolant sensor. I'm assuming it's a standard "screw into the=20 jacket" job? Similarly, how much would an O2 sensor set us back?

4) Anyone know if these 2 sensors share a multiplug somewhere in the=20 engine bay?

I don't want to take the car to the dealer, have them swap random bits=20 at =A345/hour, for them to say "No idea!"

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

They're both fair;y easy to fit, eurocarparts sell them, if the cts is playing up then it can confuse the ecu, so the other fault might be caused by that.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Not related to a Polo, but on the Mk4 Golf's, the coolant temperature is a very common problem. I replaced the one on the my Golf, took 5 mins to fit (held in with a plastic clip) and cost around £27.

Again, I had to replace two front O2 sensors on my Golf, £83 +vat each I think. Fitting wise, they screw into the exhaust and there is a connector block under the car. Again, these comments are for a Golf, would have thought the fitting would be quite similar between models though.

May be worth getting the fault codes cleared and see if / when they come back. I bought a vag-com serial cable from ebay for around £20 inc postage. Download the vag-com software from the internet and use on a laptop. Saves been stung by the stealers charging you for a diagnostic scan.

Reply to
diy-newby