Cooling System Flush in LHS cars

I am in need to do a flush/refill of the cooling system on my 96 Eagle Vision TSI (built 12/95) with the 3.6L engine.

And I have a few questions.

1: Where is the drain plug , what do I need to open it, and is it easily gotten at? (is there a diagram on line somewhere?)

2: Does any hose(s) have to be removed as part of a flush/refill?

3: Since this engine has no cap on the radaitor, I assume that the new coolent (what ever the amount that the manual states to install) is replaced via the "overflow" tank.
Reply to
Zentraleinheit

3.5L

Lower passenger's side of radiator on the engine side, really hard to get to, and its a *plastic* valve so I rarely bother opening it. I disconnect the lower radiator hose and let the old coolant dump out there, its messy but it beats breaking that &*@^# valve off and ruining a radiator :-/

In theory, no. In practice- as I described above.

Yes, and air MUST be purged by using the bleeder screw on the thrmostat housing. Again, you should follow the factory service manual's procedure.

Reply to
Steve

If you decide to go the route of opening the drain plug -- you can get to it if you CAREFULLY use pliers to grab it ( I know the FSM says not to use pliers, but I found it impossible to turn it otherwise). It will turn 90 degrees relatively freely and then will stop -- no coolan will be draining at this point... If you CAREFULLY force it slightly beyond this point you will see coolan flowing from the drain whole at the bottom of the radiator -- you do not need to remove the plug.

If you want to get ALL the coolan out you need to open two additional bleeders on the sides of the engine -- I NEVER did that. The manual says that without opening those bleeders you will get only about 80% of the coolant.

Opening the bleeder screw on top to bleed the air out is CRITICAL to prevent engine damage.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Reply to
april1st