Cooling system flush

At what mileage should I consider a cooling system flush on an 01 Corolla (actually a Prism)? I now have about 44,000 miles. Winter temperatures are frequently below zero in the morning. The local chevy dealer wants $140 for the job and the Toyota dealer wants $90.

---MIKE---

>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire >> (44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Reply to
---MIKE---

---MIKE---

You should do the initial coolant replacement at 3 years, then every 2 years after that. The factory coolant fill is diluted with distilled water but since most service facilities use tap water, the replacement cycle is shortened to 2 years.

Reply to
Ray O

My Camry's guide says the Camry uses "Genuine Toyota SUPER LONG-LIFE Coolant" and that it doesn't require initial changing for 10 years or 100,000 miles. But after the first changing, the frequency shortens to every 5 years or 50,000 miles. Nice. Toyota's always striving harder. Do the new GM and Ford models also enjoy long-life coolant?

Perhaps the poster could ask his mechanic if "Genuine Toyota SUPER LONG-LIFE Coolant" would work in his Corolla to extend change times to only once every 5 years?

Reply to
Built_Well

yes, with mixed results for GM. They use dexcool, which in my experience gums up way before it is supposed to be replaced. The Ford stuff seems to hold up so far. I would flush it earlier anyways since I am in Arizona and cooling systems need to be in top shape here !

Reply to
RT

$140 for a coolant flush and fill!! Saints preserve us. I remember my local Meineke was running a special over the summer for a $35 flush'n'fill. Jiffy Lube probably wants $65 if I remember correctly, but last time they changed by old Tercel's coolant, the color changed from red to green. Not to worry, they said, it's the same stuff.

Reply to
Built_Well

Umm, scratch that. It was Midas, not Meineke, that ran the $35 special.

Reply to
Built_Well

The green stuff is not the same as the red stuff. Genuine Toyota coolant is silicate-free .

Reply to
Ray O

And for good reason.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

My local Toyota dealer only wants $55, which is cheaper than Jiffy Lube, but I live in the Midwest. Where do you live? I think a house that sells between $600 k and $800 k in California, for example, can be bought here for only $200 k.

Reply to
Built_Well

That would probably be for just a "drain and refill".

Reply to
Sharx35

Yikers, more bad news for GM.

Here's info from a link to a law firm that is advertising on Google:

"Girard Gibbs & De Bartolomeo is investigating claims in connection with a

class action against General Motors Corporation concerning DEX-COOL.

Customers complain that DEX-COOL forms a sludge-like substance that clogs

their vehicles' cooling systems causing them to overheat, and that DEX-COOL

corrodes all parts of the engine it comes in contact with including the

heater core, water pump, hoses, cap, upper and lower intake manifold gaskets,

thermostat, and engine block."

Reply to
Built_Well

wow.. Is this the bullet that will finish off GM ? I DO have that experience with DEXCOOL.

Reply to
RT

I hope not. I hope GM survives, even though I only buy Toyota.

DEX-COOL does sound like aspartame for cars! I wonder if GM drivers could use Toyota "Super Long Life Coolant" in their GM cars, in place of DEX-COOL?

Reply to
Built_Well

I just can't imagine gm not knowing before hand about this stuff. I personally switch over to the green stuff after a few years. It's not that hard to flush a cooling system.

Reply to
RT