Crash-testing: continuation of slightly off-topic but interesting thread

We had been discussing, inter alia, the comparability of crash tests, their relevance to real life and the safety of different cars.

In the Driving section of the Sunday Times, UK's leading quality Sunday paper there was an article on 27 Jul 03.

Some points (some 'obvious'), based on EuroNCAP tests, old and new:-

1) Toyota Avensis - 5 stars out of 5, model 2003.

2) Rover 100/Metro (pre-BMW) - 1 star, the worst of the lot, being the only one with this rating. Fine British engineering :-(.

3) Old Merc C-Class and old BMW 3-series - mediocre performance under NEW test, but new E-Class excellent performance, also by vehicles from Fiat, Peugeot and Renault, among others..

4) "There is no question that car manufacturers are now designing theri cars with our tests in mind," says ...EuroNCAP..."But what is crucial is that they improve safety in all areas, not just those affected by our tests."

5) In general, small cars are never going to be as safe as larger ones, but the EuroNCAP tests judge cars relative to their size class.

6) ...newer does not always mean better; the Kia Sedona achieved two stars (out of five) earlier this year...Although the EuroNCAP tests are painstakingly executed to the highest professional standards, they do not offer a definitive verdict on a car's safety. ...after the Sedona's embarrassingly poor performance at the hands of EuroNCAP, ...the US NCAP organisation put the car through some different tests (and) it received a full five-star rating.

More food for thought.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

That is one of the deciding factors when I purchased my Expedition over the GM SUVs.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike