Cruise Control led

The led is glowing too low it is old as my Chrysler Voyager is '96. Any easy way to change it? I mean, is there a way to disassemble the plastics of the crusie control on the handwheel without risking damage ? Or worse to fire the air bag?

Reply to
Mike De Petris

maxpower

m> hmmmmm

??

Reply to
Mike De Petris

You want to tear things apart just to replace the little green LED? I've never done it but, from the looks of things, unless you have a compelling reason to replace it, I would leave it alone.

-- Christian

Reply to
Christian M. Mericle

CMM> You want to tear things apart just to replace the little green LED? CMM> I've never done it but, from the looks of things, unless you have a CMM> compelling reason to replace it, I would leave it alone.

ouch, I was simply "thinking the opposite way", that is, I just need to change a simple LED and it should be very stupid to take apart those pieces of plastic, so why should a live with this faulty thing?

Reply to
Mike De Petris

I could be wrong but I don't think you're going to be able to remove the LED w/o taking everything apart.

-- Christian

Reply to
Christian M. Mericle

CMM> I could be wrong but I don't think you're going to be able to remove CMM> the LED w/o taking everything apart.

Are you saying I must remove the wheels? What do you mean by "everything"? It is under the plastic cover of the steering wheel so there couldn't be so many pieces, being the airbag the most problematic.

The problem, like any other modern plastic assemly like phones, tvs, radios... is being able to "open the box" without damaging too much the covers, and you can only guess how the retaining mechanisms are done after you see inside only.

Reply to
Mike De Petris

I've never done it. By everything, I'm refering to the same thng you are (i.e. opening the "box" that holds the cruise control buttons). Also, I'm thinking that you'll be unable to replace any LED w/o replacing the entire switch.

-- Christian

Reply to
Christian M. Mericle

CMM> I've never done it. By everything, I'm refering to the same thng you CMM> are (i.e. opening the "box" that holds the cruise control buttons). CMM> Also, I'm thinking that you'll be unable to replace any LED w/o CMM> replacing the entire switch.

Are you saying "impossible"?? Mmmmm this starts to sound challenging to me...

Reply to
Mike De Petris

I wouldn't think impossible. I was just suggesting that it may be more trouble than benefit. Unless, of course, it's your hobby. If so, enjoy!

-- Christian

Reply to
Christian M. Mericle

Have you checked the dimming feature is working. On my 96, when the lights are switched on, the LED goes to about 1/2 brightness. i.e., if I turn on the headlights during the day, the LED is usually not bright enough to see. At night it is fine, and during the day, if the lights are switched off, it is OK, unless the sun is shining through the drivers window.

Do LED's actually get 'dimmer' with age??? Maybe the LED lens has some 'goop' on it. Have you tried cleaning it with a toothpick and some tissue?

Reply to
Mike