Dodge Caravan 1996 3.0L Speed Sensor

My Dodge Caravan 1996, 3.0 L engine, 3 speed automatic transmission has Check Engine light on, the code is P0500, which is Vehicle Speed Sensor being bad. The vehicle appears to operate normally, but once in a while the speedo stops working, transiently.

I want to replace the VSS myself, but I do not know the location of the sensor, the only thing on this transmission that I know the location of, is the Reverse Gear light switch, beacuse it was replaced sometime ago, Haynes does not show the location of VSS on a 3 speed transmission, it shows a picture of a 4 speed transmission only.

Could someone kindly advise me on this, as to where and how to locate the VSS on my vehicle.

The other question is, that is it a output or input speed sensor ? since I hear there are two types of speed sensors.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Reply to
Netman