Driving lamp module

Hi...

I mention this in the hope that it may be of help to someone else...

Finally!! found the drl module in this new (to me, of course)

94 LHS. It's under the passenger side headlights :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Was the module there already, or did you simply find where it would plug in if you had one?

I ask because our '96 Stratus has the socket for the DRL module, but I was assured that wiring harness on US-market models is different from that on Canadian-market models, so that plugging in a module wouldn't do any good. Although the Canadian-market models had DRLs as standard, DRLs weren't even offered as an option on the US-market ones.

Perce

On 10/08/05 02:30 pm Ken Weitzel tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Hi Perce...

I have the module, though it's broken in the always-off mode :(

I guess the reason I might have it is because I'm in Canada, (Winnipeg) and imagine that this particular one was built either in or for the Canadian market. (the predominant speedo marking is Kilometers per hour)

A little cold and wet for my old bones to lie on the ground today, but I'll dig in over the next few days. If you'd like I'll be happy to make a few voltage measurements for you.

And I should have mentioned - real easy to see it. That's if you're willing to lie on the ground for a minute. Lie down in front of the front passenger wheel, you should see it mounted to the frame. Plug end is down. If you were to hit something with your bumper at an angle almost exactly where the hood line is, the first thing that would be damaged would be that module.

Hope this helps, and take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

I've already told you, I'm pretty sure, how you can easily and inexpensively add factory-type DRLs to your '96, if you feel for some reason you must have them.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

On 10/08/05 06:25 pm Daniel J. Stern tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Unless I am mistaken, you have mentioned after-market solutions, and I bought such a kit -- while visiting Canada, as it happened -- but have not yet installed it. Are you now telling me that I could have bought the genuine DC module (for more money, no doubt) and enabled it in some way?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Hi Perce...

What Mr Stern was recommending is here

It's very different than anything I've found available here locally. David's suggestion uses the turn signal bulbs as drl's; while the very inexpensive ones here at for instance Canadian Tire simply sense the engine running via an inductive pickup on one of the sparkler wires and turn on your regular low beam headlights, exactly as if you'd turned them on manually.

I wouldn't mind doing that, IF I could use the otherwise useless fog lights, though. Not sure it's legal, or I'd do it. Perhaps put orange bulbs in even.

Downside to the webelectric ones is they offer no way to contact them (at least there's no link on their page), which I need. Getting long in the tooth, more and more conservative, and won't under any circumstance pay via credit or debit card over the internet.

I would happily send them a US dollar money order or my cheque, and they could ship when they were completely satisfied, but I have no way to ask :(

By the way, David's suggestion costs 40 dollars US; while the original here from a dealer is 170 dollars Canadian.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Yes.

Don't think you bought a kit like the one I pointed you to!

No.

Yes. You have to be careful with that page, much of the stuff they offer is illegal and not safe (center brake light flasher, for instance). But the DRL module is pretty much the least-worst way of activating DRLs on a vehicle not originally so equipped without adding new actual lamp devices.

Headlamp-based DRLs are problematic pretty much any way you implement them, for reasons I've gone into in detail before. Turn signal DRLs aren't perfect, but they're better. And cheaper to run. And cheaper to service (bulbs). And legal.

Fog lamp as DRL is legal in Canada, not in the US. If you go that route, you can simply use an ordinary relay as your DRL "module".

Send him an e-mail; he responds promptly.

All my life, all over the world, people have called me David. Donno why.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I guess that means no PayPal for you either?

At least he didn't call you Howard. :)

Bill Putney

Hi...

Sorry Daniel, I meant no disrespect :)

I have a pretty good excuse, multiple strokes. Occasionally forget my own name :)

Others may have a different reason, 'specially if they're sports fans, and particularly if they're basketball fans. Google david j stern if you like.

Sorry again,

Ken (I think! :)

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Hi Bill (I double-checked :)

Nope. Seems the older I get the more cautious I'm becoming.

Hehehe... I might not even notice - :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to