Brake locks in very damp rainy weather

Have a 1995 Caravan that has developed an issue where one of the brakes will lock even with just very light pressure on the brake pedal. After two to three stops or driving for a block or so this will go away and they work as normal. Any ideas would be appreciated.

PC Medic

Reply to
PC Medic

Hi...

Been a GM owner all my life until a couple of weeks ago, so if a GM experience is of help?

Olds 98 Regency. Even thinking of touching the brake pedal would make the driver side rear lock up tight. Lock the wheel solid at

30 mph, scare everyone for miles around :(

Turns out that the cylinder had a miniscule leak, a bit of brake fluid (invisible to my old eyes) was on the shoes. Tried everything trying to salvage the almost new shoes. Cleaned 'em with brake cleaner, sanded them with a bit of sandpaper and cleaned them again. Cleaned the drum as best I could.

Wasted of time and effort; the only cure was replacing the cylinder, cleaning the drum thoroughly, and replacing the pads.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Front brake? Rear brake?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Rear passenger side. Only happens when wet/rainy out and only if vehicle has sat for an hour or two. Sunny days no problems

PC Medic

Reply to
PC Medic

That is a weird one. Have you removed the drum and taken a look at it? I'm wondering if the shoes are badly worn and they are "caming" when you apply them? However, I can't think of any reason why being wet would make any difference, other than the wet road might let the tire slip more easily whereas even though the brake is being over applied on a dry road, it may not be enough to lock up with the greater tire traction.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

No haven't pulled the drum yet. Brakes were just done in the spring (including all new hardware) so would be surprised if had warn , but guess anything is possible. I find it odd not only that the symptoms occur only when rainy out, but also goes away after 2 or 3 stops.

Reply to
PC Medic

Hi...

Answered once, just after you posted, but just in case that message got lost in cyberspace :)

Brake fluid is hydroscopic. Absorbs every bit of moisture it can get a hold of, even moisture from humid air.

Willing to betcha anything you like that you have a microscopic brake fluid leak from the wheel cylinder, and the shoe/pad has traces on it. Once that happens the only cure is to thoroughly clean the whole area, change the pad/shoe (waste of time and effort trying to clean or even sand it down), change or rebuild the cylinder, clean the rotor/drum thoroughly with brake cleaner, and you'll be good to go.

I'm new to Chrysler, used GM only for the past 50 years, it happened to me on on an Olds 98. Just thinking about touching the brake pedal locked up the rear wheel. Instantly, and completely. Woke people up for miles around. Dreaded a yellow light :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel