Electric whine noise mystery in rear of Voyager '94 6cyl. 3.0L

We have a Plymouth Voyager '94 6 cylinder 3.0L with fuel injection. It has 104K miles on it, and has been well maintained.

It had a whine noise in the rear of the car that developed one long trip. It would whine like a high rev electric motor when you just turned the ignition switch one click (this did not start the engine). The whine would persist as long as you drove the car.

From reading on these group pages this seemed to indicate the electric fuel pump was bad. The pump is located in the gas tank . We took it to a mechanic and he confirmed the diagnosis but he did not have time to repair it till the weekend. So we jacked the car up in the rear and we replaced it ourselves with a NAPA fuel pump part... It fit OK and no leaks. Then I started to replace the fuel filter.

When I looked at the fuel filter cannister under the right middle undercarriage. It was shiny new. We looked at a previous repair bill done by our local mechanic a couple months ago and they replaced this fuel filter. So I did not bother with replacing it.

So we start the car up and it runs....BUT there is still a whining noise coming from the rear...which I guess suggests the fuel pump is under strain from something.

  1. Any ideas what to look at next? Junk clogging the lines?

  1. Is there a second fuel filter in the car? Perhaps the fuel filter the mechanic put in was defective (or backwards).

3.We would also appreciate some advice on discharging the injector system pressure too.

Thanks,

Nate

Reply to
Nate

Some pumps are noisy.

No. There are micro screens at the inlet side of the injectors, but when they start to plug, you tend to experience other driveability symptoms.

It probably has an arrow on it indicating direction of fuel flow, otherwise, the crimped end usually faces the engine.

Disconnect fuel pump harness, start engine until fuel pressure is depleted. Connect two jumper wires to a fuel injector, connect them to the battery for a few seconds. Install fuel pressure gauge to fuel rail Schraeder valve (if equipped), bleed fuel pressure out of gauge purge valve into safe/suitable container.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

I had a weird thing like that too. My fuel pump started whining, at least that's what the mechanic said. During the couple of days that I was thinking about fixing it, it stopped and hasn't reappeared in six months. I've had a lot of "weird" things happen with this van :) (94 T&C)

Lisa

Reply to
Lisa Horton

I'm not sure whining is bad, but obviously we're not hearing the sound - you are. I would suggest doing nothing. In fact, I would have suggested that before you changed it. When the whining stops, that's when you're in trouble (haaaa ha ha).

I can hear the fuel pumps on all my cars. They all whine, naturally, because they're all rotary machines operating at high rpm. If one of them got really loud, then I guess I would worry, but that's never happened to me. I always diagnose them on pressure rather than sound.

Reply to
Joe