Engine immobilizers: Some recent model vehicles either don't have them - or they don't work???

This story is also making the rounds on the TV network news up here today.

It's not clear to me if some newer vehicles (like 2005 Chevy Avalanche and others) have potentially faulty immobilizers, or they plain just don't have them.

Do they have a 1 in 60 (or better) chance of being stolen because that is the failure rate of their immobilizers, or because they simply don't have an immobilizer. ?

------------------------------------

The top 150 vehicles listed include 2005-or-later models of the Chevrolet Avalance, GMC Jimmy, Jeep Cherokee, Chevrolet Blazer, Pontiac Grand Am, GMC Envoy, Ford F250 and Chevy Trailblazer. All have odds of one-in-60 or greater chance of being stolen.

"What we are seeing is some of the newer-line Chevy products that reflect the fact that the immobilizer system within those vehicles does not meet the North American standard, and that's exactly why we haven't reflected them in the rate reduction," said Douglas.

"What we are seeing is proof of the fact that those vehicles can be stolen."

Peter Dunwoody, who lives in Brandon, found out the hard way that his vehicle wasn't protected. After returning from a tour of duty in Afghanistan two weeks ago, his wife picked him up in their brand-new Chevy Avalanche, and they spent the night at a Winnipeg hotel.

"The next morning I went to go out and get a coffee, and the truck was gone," he told the CBC.

Their model didn't appear on MPI's most-at-risk list in 2006, but on the new list it ranks 38th, with a one-in-14 chance of being stolen.

Dunwoody said he might have thought twice about purchasing the vehicle if he'd known its odds of being stolen were higher.

"I don't think it's right that a person would even have to consider their vehicle because of the popularity of theft. It never really crossed our minds at all," he said.

Douglas noted that older vehicles are still the primary target of auto thieves: "[Older cars] continue to make up more than 50 per cent of the thefts."

Reply to
MoPar Man

Hi!

That is true no matter what kind of vehicle it is. I think GM said it best in their owner's manuals, which have stated for years that nothing they could put on the vehicle would make it impossible to steal.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Not if we're considering the most common thief - a teenage male looking for a joyride.

And in that situation, the engine immobilizer will prevent theft every time.

And when the young punks get to know which vehicles have them, they don't have to force their way into your vehicle just to discover they can't steal it. So you are protected from dammage caused by attempted theft just because of the reputation of your vehicle's make and model.

That is a cop-out for them - a self-serving statement.

The truth is that immobilizers stop the most common type of theivery - the punks who take their friends on a joyride.

Those stupid fools who own:

- 2005-or-later models of the Chevrolet Avalance - GMC Jimmy - Jeep Cherokee - Chevrolet Blazer - Pontiac Grand Am - GMC Envoy - Ford F250 - Chevy Trailblazer

I'm sure wouldn't mind if their vehicle had an immobilizer. Note how most of those are GM vehicles.

Insurance companies also reduce the premiums for vehicles that have them.

Reply to
MoPar Man