Faulty AIS motor?

Hi all,can someone tell me how to diagnose a faulty AIS motor? It's on an 89 2.5 turbo,it run's great except for idle. It will idle fine for afew second's,then it start's to stumble like it's gonna stall. It will pick itself back-up again for abit,then start to stumble again. If i disconnect the AIS and set the idle up higher by the screw it idle's fine. Can i runnit wothout the AIS plugged in? Or should i just invest in a new one? Thanks in Advance!

Reply to
Mickey

Have you physically removed the throttle body and cleaned it?

When you clean the throttle body, make sure you also remove the AIS from the throttle body and clean it thoroughly, along with the mating surface inside the throttle body.

Make sure you use a cleaner that is safe for O2 sensors.

I was under the impression that the idle screw was set at the factory and should not be (or ever require) adjustement. I hope you have a rough idea where it was set before you adjusted it.

hth

Reply to
cloaked

do you know for sure the AIS is not functioning? It can only work when the computer tells it to move, it can't just move by itself. I would pull it out, clean it out with spray cleaner, and clean the idle speed orifice and throttle plate opening GOOD and try again. I had idle speed problems and turned out was just caused by gunk in there. Also want to make sure you have minimum idle speed set correctly (i.e. speed with AIS fully closed)

Reply to
mark french

It has been my experience that when an AIS fails, it is HIGH IDLE that is the failure symptom. Anyhow, have you checked for fault codes? Stumble and low idle could even be a bad speed sensor...does the speedo work all the time? Bill

88 Lancer Shelby 91 LeBaron Convertible 01 Chevy Impala LS
Reply to
Billccm

No fault codes,speedo works fine. If i disconnect the ais it idles fine,when it's hooked up it act's up? I may have screwed things up by turning the factory idle setting screw? Is there away to set it all back?

Reply to
Mickey