Hyundai amica - hell on wheel to fix - stalling

Wife's Hyundai Amica 1.0 (2001) is turning out to hell on wheels. It starts and runs fine for a while (from cold) then stalls suddenly.

Feels like I just turned the ignition switch off and quickly on again. When the engine gets a bit warmer it stalls regularly at idle and sometimes when accelerating from rest.

I have Replaced this lot:-

air filter spark plugs HT leads Main relay (Was faulty for sure - just tap it and relay drops out loses feed to fuel pump and stops engine). I thought I found the fault

- but this was only one of them! Throttle position sensor (was way out of spec) Camshaft position sensor Fuel filter Petrol cap (as was not sealing properly anyway)

The "check Engine" light comes on sometimes when it stalls - but then clears itself - yes (thinking about it) just as if the ign was turned off and on again very quickly. I've banged the ign switch but that doesn't stall it.

Sometimes there have been codes in the ecu - usually "misfire on cyl" but the cylinder number varies. I have taken the ign coil unit off and measured its resistance (was normal) and cleaned it. No sign of tracking anywhere.

The injectors seem to be working fine. There is a strong vacuum from the fuel regulator valve with no fuel dripping out of it so a guess that is ok - although is not a brilliant test I suppose

Could a fuel pump fail cause this kind of intermittent fault? But heck

- it runs at speed just fine!

I can't change the Crank sensor - it's hell to get at - but anyway, again, the car is fine when driven at speed?

ECU itself perhaps?

Not sure if elec or fuel fault any more!!!!!

Any suggestions as the cause? TIA

Reply to
dave

crank sensor.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

The fact that the fault occurs at idle or when accelerating, and is worse when the engine is warmed up, tends to confirm crankshaft sensor failure. It appears to be a common fault with this engine.

To replace it is as much work as changing the cambelt, and unless the belt has been replaced very recently it would be folly to put the old one back on.

You might want to have a look here:

for further information.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks for the advice. Just to say I never had a P0336 C.Pos Sensor DTC code raised in all the times it had stalled. Haveing said that, I don't get *any* error codes set! I'm just trying to make as sure as I can as it's a big job to change that thing on this car.

Reply to
dave

Perhaps it's easier to change the car!

Reply to
Graham J

What and lose the opportunity to learn something!

Reply to
dave

Fuel cut off valve recall free fix

Reply to
dmedeiros420

hi i am experiencing the same problem with my amica......stalls with no warning when driving at any speed....i noticed that you mentioned a recall....was woundering if the problem was fixed

Reply to
tkillingworth69

Guys its an oil pressure switch probleam. I had same problem last month. I went to local garage they charged me £80 to find and fix the problem. W hen I checked price online for oil pressure switch arround 10-15 pounds.

Reply to
maitreyu