Front wipers stopped working

Hi all

Today the front windscreen wipers just stopped working. That is except when engaging the washer, then they work as normal for a couple of turns. Tested the relays (by replacing them with a couple of spares). Disconnected the multifunction handle (turnsignal, wiper, haz). Opened it and measured the resistance on the circuit board between RTN and MUX (as it said on the print, where the washer "carriage" runs). The values are between 0 and 1,2. Is this correct ? The carriage also have connection to ground. Any suggestions to what to do now ? It is a -96 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3L

Thanks Per Martin

Reply to
Per Martin Joraholmen

These 96 wipers are known to do some funny things. There are a few TSB's about problems. Go back to your multifunction switch. On the switch connector side recheck pins ________________ |1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | | 8 9 10 11 12 |

--------------------- Sw position Pins Resistance OFF 6-7 Max 1.0 Delay 1 6-7 1.91 K ohm +/- 5 ohm D2 6-7 1.00 K ohm +/- 5 D3 6-7 617 ohm +/- 5 D4 6-7 389 ohm +/- 2 D5 6-7 256 ohm +/- 2 D6 6-7 156 ohm +/- 1 LOW 6-7 65.4 ohm +/- 0.5 HIGH 5-8 Max 1.0 WASH 8-11 Continuity

It is the BCM that takes these signals and controls the wiper. Besides 'wiper on' and 'Wiper high/low' relays, there is also an internal park switch in the wiper motor to tell the BCM when it is in the down/parked position. Failure of the park switch usually results in other symptoms like won't shut off, or does not park - stops in middle of window when switched off.

Also check for bad ground G101 on block about half way down transmission dip stick.

Reply to
Mike

Thanks Mike

The multifunction handle is accordingly to you spec. You wrote: These 96 wipers are known to do some funny things. There are a few TSB's

Reply to
Per Martin Joraholmen

I tried testing the park sw in the vehicle and was not too successful. The sw operates so quickly when in operation that I could not get good reading from either a digital or analog meter. I removed the wiper motor, opened the switch cover and was able to clean the switch to get it working again. However, within 6-8 months was acting up again. Replaced the motor for final fix.

It's pins 4-7 on the wiper motor side connector. Should be continuity with motor parked. It places a ground signal (that G300 previously mentioned) onto the BCM to indicate parked position. Check continuity to ground on the pin 7 harness side to verify G300 is good.

Reply to
Mike

Mike Sorry to trouble you again. I'm going to check the ground connectors tomorrow (Saturday). You mentioned that the connector G101 is located on the block, half way down the transmission dip stick (haven't looked for it yet), but where is G300 located ? Is that the one that I behind the heater control panel ? I must get a service repair book. any suggestions for a good one ?

Thanks Per

is

down/parked

transmission

Reply to
Per Martin Joraholmen

G300 is not so easy to find, hence checking it by a continuity check. If you do need to find it, it is on what they call the left cowl panel - kind of near the top of the park brake peddle, and in front of it. Just near the large twin 36 way connectors that go through to the engine. Not so likely to be a problem as G101 is, just by the nature of its location.

As far as manuals, Haynes and Chilton's are generally considered only adequate, with much good info, but often missing the real important stuff you need when you get into difficult problems like these. There is nothing like the OEM or factory service manuals. Much more expensive, but worth every penny when you fix a problem like this, and save the labour cost of the repair. In this case most especially, the wiring diagrams are much better. Also generally many more and much better diagrams of locations and procedures.

Reply to
Mike

I agree with Mike about the manuals (aftermarket vs. factory) - except I'm more adamantly against the aftermarket manuals - especially for electrical troubleshooting ("typical" schematics are often worse than no schematics at all - a schematic either shows you which wire or pin to look at or it doesn't - no in between).

There is also the option of an on-line AllData

subscription for your vehicle which costs $25 for the first year on one vehicle, $15 for each additonal vehicle and renewal after the first year. With that, you get on-line access to the schematics and other information right out of the FSM, and you get access to complete TSB's specific to your vehicle.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with AllData other than being a happy, paying user of their product.

Bill Putney