Wipers Stopped Working on Vauxhall Astra - Any Help Appreciated

Hi Guys,

I have a K Reg astra 1.4i estate. The other day the wipers started to stick, they would work for a while but then stick half way across the windscreen. If I moved them with my hand they would work for another couple of goes and stick again.

After a while it got worse to the point where a white smoke came from what seemed to be the earth wire, could have been the motor though. Then it stopped working completely.

I went to a scrapyard today and got a motor from another car (cosmetically in very good condition) and replaced it, started the wipers again and nothing happened. I tried to move the wiper manually and white smoke came out again (seemed like the earth wire, but could have been the motor). Replaced the earth wire but it still doesn't work (Although no smoke now at all)

I dont really know what to do now, I could have got a bad motor replacement, I dont know? Also, I have checked the fuse and thats fine. I only passed my test a couple of months ago and this is my first car since passing so dont know much about cars. I notice in the fusebox theres a little black box with a windscreen wiper emblem on it, I am guessing thats a relay or a switch? Could it be that?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

Reply to
Craig Pickles

Craig - the rear wiper stopped working my my Astra a year or so ago. Long shot for you, but ... I squirted WD40 down the shaft at the point where it enters its mounting: it had become corroded solid.. Then I forcefully worked the wiper backwards and forwards, holding on to the mounting with pliers. This freed the wiper. Then I dripped 3-in-1 light lubricant oil down the shaft: haven't had a problem since.

John

Reply to
John

I had a similar thing on my corsa

Replaced the motor....

Also freed of the mechanisms it was stiff as hell, no wonder the motor burned out.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton