Gas Mileage

Hi, i have a 94 3.0l plymouth voyager with 158,000km and i have been starting to get really bad mileage. i can only get like 270km in a full tank of gas. Can someone give me some suggestions on what kind of problem its having.

Reply to
mike113

If you are in an area that mandates MTBE in the gasoline (for air quality) this could be the cause. If I use fuel that contains MTBE during the cold winter months I see as much as a 20% drop in mileage.

Of course other things to look at would be PCV Valve, O2 sensor, dirty air filter and such.

Have you pulled the codes to see if they reveal anything?

Reply to
PC Medic

Any codes set? If not, my first guess would be O2 sensor, but it could be any number of things. My Chevy truck had this problem and it never set a code. Turned out it was the coolant temperature sensor and the engine thought it was cold all of the time and provided a rich mixture as during a cold start.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

This happened on my 89 Acclaim 3.0L - turned out to be a broken thermostat - code 17 was set (staying in open loop because the engine temp didn't rise within a certain period of time). Easy to put in a new one. Good luck.

bob

Reply to
Robert Meyer

When was the last time it had a good tune up ? My 88 3.0 New Yorker does better with fresh filters and plugs, and rotor and cap. Also check for EGR issues and open vac lines to sensors ? Is your tranny slipping? Carrying alot of dead weight all the time ?

Just places to start

Steve

88 New Yorker 3.0 - 32 mpg hiway with a tail wind
Reply to
Steve Stone