Harsh 2-1 downshift on 42LE

My Intrepid has started experiencing really harsh downshifts when the trans shifts from 2nd into 1st, such as when coming to a stop or in crawling stop and go traffic, or crawling around a shopping mall parking lot. I would almost say that the transmission selects Reverse for split second before it chooses 1st. It's like hitting a deep pot hole.

Never does it when the engine is cold; engine and transmission have to be at full operating temp. Does it less in the winter when ambient temps are low, does it much more frequently in summer when temps are higher. Doesn't do it all the time.

Anyone else experience this ? If so, did you get it fixed and what was done.

Thanks...Phil

Reply to
Phil T

First get the transmission fluid changed with Chrysler fluid and NO additives even if the dealer says additives help. Chrysler does not recommend additives of any type. Do not use a substitute fluid as might be suggested by Jiffy Lube and other non dealers.

Reply to
Art

Already done Art (twice) . No difference.

Do you know if DTC faults with the transmission will illuminate the Check Engine Light ?

I wouldn't go to a Jiffy Lube if the service and oil was free. I do everything right here in my own garage. First transmission oil change with filter I let the dealer do. I then changed a portion of the fluid again 10K miles later at home. Managed to get 5 quarts out. ATF+4 all the way.

Thanks...Phil

Reply to
Phil T

You didn't say what year or mileage on Intrepid you had. Some 95's and perhaps later benefited from software upgrades. Also some have long warranties on the engine and AT.

Reply to
Art

2001 with 149K miles Art. Aside from this intermittent hard downshifting, the car is otherwise A-1 (so far).

Phil

Reply to
Phil T

You might check to see if there is a later firmware upgrade, but if it was working OK previously, that is probably not the problem. AFAIK, the last firmware update was in 2000, but I could be wrong. Wouldn't hurt to have the dealer check the TCM firmware version with the latest available.

Also, resetting the TCM by removing power to it for a few minutes may fix it. Pulling fuse Q (see photo:

in the PDC for a few minutes should accomplish that. Try this first. Bill Putney (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address with the letter 'x')

Reply to
Bill Putney

That's an easy one Bill. I'll give it a try first. As I said, it doesn't do this all the time. It seems to be related to temperature plus the type of driving within the previous 5 or 10 minutes. When it starts doing it, I can get it to return to normal just by driving at nearly any steady speed for just a few minutes. It's strange.

Thanks...Phil

Reply to
Phil T

Maybe the cooling tube from the radiator is plugged.

Reply to
Art

That sounds hopeful that resetting it will work - it supposedly "learns" your driving habits and adapts accordingly. Many people routinely periodically reset it because it's often felt that after a point, it acts weird, i.e., the adaptive process technology is still developing.

Bill Putney

Ya know, I was thinking along those lines too while I was driving along today. I have an external pump here; I think I'll do an off-line backflush of the auxiliary cooler and the main cooler in the side tank on the rad. Then I'll check the supply and return lines. If something isn't right with the trans cooler system, that has to be corrected before anything else is done.

Thanks for the knudge Art. I'll also try Bill's TCM fuse idea. Costs nothing and is easy to do.

Phil

Reply to
Phil T