Help with 1992 Recall Notice

x-no-archive: yes Well, I've got a '87 Plymouth Gran Fury (40K actual miles) and when I got it inspected yesterday.. it passed. Always does. They gave me a printout telling me that there was a recall in 1992 for 'Installation of Spark Control Computer and Automatic Transmission Throttle Lever Rod" . I'm a lady who know Nothing about cars. Can anyone tell me if this is a BIG DEAL or not ? I can't imagine a recall in 1992 I didn't know about would be anything major or the car wouldn't be driving and as perfect as it is now ? sure thank you

Reply to
noname

Are you sure it's a recall and not a TSB?

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Was this at a Chrysler dealership? They should be able to look up the car and see if the repair was performed and if not and it is a true recall they should still do it for free. (Assuming they can order parts.)

Reply to
Art

x-no-archive: yes this is "Recall Information". I had my car inspected yesterday at Jiffy Lube and they have to enter in all the info after inspecting to the TX Database. and the recall info came back with the printout of the passed inspection. (Which includes a strict EPA emissions test.) The info states: "Date: 09-01-1992,Recall 515 - Spark Control Computer and A/T Throttle Lever. Hydrocarbon and Carbon Monoxide levels may exceed the limits allowed by EPA" I am the original owner and I was Never notifed and this has never been done. What I don't understand is...the car passes the emission tests without a problem ever. So why have it done if it always passes ? Unless it is a safety hazard. I'm pretty housebound and it is difficult for me to take it to the dealership : ( again, thanks for your Help !

Reply to
noname

Was the car EVER at the dealer for service after the recall date? Dealership may have done it while it was there for something else. Dealership can look up VIN # of car and tell you of any outstanding recalls.

Reply to
Art

There is a difference between Federal Emission Certification Tests and state emission inspections such as you have easily passed every year. The FECT standards are considerably stricter and more detailed than any state's emission test requirements. Each year, each automaker must certify that each model he produces -- one body/engine/transmission combination is "one model" -- complies with that year's FECT standards. The penalty for known and willful noncompliance (i.e., the automaker knows the vehicle doesn't comply, but doesn't voluntarily recall it) is forced recall and large Federal penalty payments.

State emission inspections have nothing to do with FECT standards. They are designed and targetted at vehicles in use. As such, the standards are considerably more lenient and much less detailed. A state emission inspection takes between 5 and 20 minutes; a FECT takes *THREE DAYS*. So that's why your car can pass the state inspection even though it may be noncompliant with Federal standards.

If for no other reason, to get a new spark control computer.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Except that some people are paranoid about having their car worked on at a dealer. Case in point: The seat bolt recall on some of the 2nd gen LH cars - on the 300M ezBoard, several people had it done successfully; several reported that they had it done, but damage or new problems were caused by the dealer; several inquired if the dealer would give them the parts so that they could put them in themselves rather than risk damage. I can understand someone letting sleeping dogs lie, so to speak, if there are no apparent problems rather than enter dealer hell (obviously depends on the quality and integrity of the local dealer, but if you get a bad one, it can be rough on someone who is at their mercy to treat them right).

Bill Putney

Also, you can go to

and there is a place I believe in the "owners section" you can search with the complete vin for any outstanding recalls. There is no charge for searching.

Reply to
Mikeygmoed

I just had the recall done. No damage to my 300M except for some uncleanable grease like stain on the back of driver seat. Fortunately lighter fluid removed it.

Reply to
Art

Actually it's only the last 8 characters of the Vin that is required.

Click the "For Owners" link, then the "Recall Notices" link.

Reply to
High Sierra

x-no-archive: yes Art ..' how were you notifed ? In the mail or anything ? My car has never seen the inside of a dealership ..Only in 1987 to buy the Gran Fury. It's been perfectly maintained and garaged when not used ever since. Long as I don't get in trouble for non compliance or something. The EPA emissions test in Houston TX takes about 20 mins. and my car always comes way in the acceptable level ..of HC and CO. It's just a problem getting the car to the dealership ! I can't see taking it if there isn't a problem. Stop me if I'm wrong or you think I *should* take it. I don't have anyone to advise me on this darn car stuff . thanks again

Art wrote:

Reply to
noname

x-no-archive: yes well, this is interesting..this is what I got using the dodge.com and my vin:

"No Incomplete Recalls or Customer Satisfaction Notifications Exist

NOTE: Results returned represent unperformed or > Mikeygmoed wrote:

Reply to
noname

lists all TSB's and recalls by vehicle and model year. If you look at this page:
see that there in fact was a recall in '92 for that item on youryear Fury.

Here's my guess: The shop you used has a software package (sold to them with the enticement of drumming up business when customers bring their cars in) that spits out these things based loosely on vehicle model and year. Either: (1) The recall did not apply to every VIN number that year, and yours was not in the ones that were recalled (but the software did not break it down that specifically, so the message popped up because it was of that year), or (2) The recall did apply to your car (by its VIN), but it was performed already.

But since you say you are the original owner and the recall was never performed on your car, then item (1) must be the case. I can understand, though, that it would be nice to see it listed as having been performed. As it is, you're left with this nagging feeling of not being really sure.

So, those of you in the know - does the dealer have access to the exact same info. - no more, no less - when they plug her VIN into the DC database? IOW - would it tell her what recalls have been performed, not just outstanding ones?

Bill Putney

(3) The recall did apply to the car in question (by its VIN) but for any of many plausible reasons, the owner did not receive or read the recall notice.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

No - the dodge.com site told her "No Incomplete Recalls or Customer Satisfaction Notifications Exist..." according to her latest post.

Bill Putney

You posted that you checked the car VIN # at the Dodge site and it says there are no outstanding recalls on your car. If you want to double check, call your local dealer's service department and give them the VIN and ask them to check but I suspect the recall either was done and you forgot about it or your car was not included. 3rd possibility is that you did not type in the right VIN #. On my Chrysler's is it in front of the driver below the windshield so it is almost impossible to read. Might be on the drivers door jam too where the tire pressures are listed. Could be on the title to the car or registration but I would double check to make sure the number wasn't transcribed wrong when the title or registration was prepared. Check the VIN actually on the car. Also don't confuse 1 with L or 0 with O.

Reply to
Art

By law, on all North American-market vehicles since 1968, it's on a plate visible from outside the car through the lower-left corner of the windshield. It is not "almost impossible to read" at all, unless you are blind or your "BABY ON BOARD" sign is covering it up. It is also present on the Vehicle Safety Certification Label on the trailing edge of the driver's door or adjacent frame, but usually harder to read in this location due to poor print quality.

No, the tire pressures are listed on a separate plate.

These locations frequently contain errors; those on the vehicle itself do not.

Every VIN contains a check digit in the 9th position; it is not possible to "enter the wrong VIN" by mis-typing one or more characters. Any such mis-type creates an invalid number, not a "wrong VIN".

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

And my dealer parts guy says his satellite-linked computer can't supply build sheets for vehicles older than '89. It's entirely possible older-vehicle recall completion info isn't available via dodge.com .

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

On my Toyota Avalon, the background or the plate with the VIN below the windshield has a watermark which says Toyota on it making the VIN just about impossible to read. On my 300M it is embossed gray on gray and is again almost impossible to read. Perhaps Dan you have superman eyes. And I did not say the tire pressure and vin was on the same plate now did I. Just the same door jam.

Reply to
Art

Well if the web version was using the check digit (checksum) you mentioned in your other post you would think it would also mention the date cut off.

Reply to
Art