How surprising?

Power without adequate handling.

Todays Hemi Charger offers no choice but a five-speed automatic. Modern > rubber sticks to the pavement like freshly-chewed Juicy Fruit. Stand on the > brake while pushing down the throttle pedal to torque-load the transmission, > and even with the stability control turned off, theres nothing but a brief > squeal of tires, two short strips of rubber deposited on the pavement, a > slight pause as the electronic nannies restrain the engines exuberance. After > permission granted for take off, the 06 Hemi Charger goes like an arrow from > a 100-lb bow, fast and straight. > Slam the 2006 Charger into a corner, however, and ghosts of long ago Chargers > are resuscitated. The Chargers of ancient song and story lurched and bobbled > like Weeble in a windstorm, only the car was more likely to fall down. The > steering was looser than Don Knotts in Ahnold's overcoat. The new Charger > lacks the older car¹s sloppy steering, but at least with the base ³touring² > suspension,
*>the suspension floats and bobs like a rubber duckie in a two-year
old¹s bath. Curves and freeway ramps approached with vigor are attention > getters of the first order. We didn¹t get to drive with the optional > performance suspension package but we¹d consider it mandatory. At least.

Keep to straight roads!

Reply to
Spam Hater

Spam Hater wrote: a corner, however, and ghosts of long ago Chargers

What a load of crap.. The original Charger was actually a *good* handler for its day, and with less than $200 of urethane bushings and sway-bar upgrades (not counting modern radial tires) a '69 Charger can be made into a good handler by *today's* standards. The crap above is what you get when twerps who weren't even alive in '69 get the misguided impression that they actually know something about a car they've likely never even sat in, let alone driven.

Reply to
Steve

I'll say one thing for John Matras; he's a simile man. Bigtime. He's been to picturesque writing classes more times than a two-year olds pajamas go in the laundry. He was making up word pictures like a single girl in her 30's making up cookies for a college football team. Reading it was about as much fun as eating a 50 pound bag of sugar. One simile would have been as adequate as a 500 pound doorstop.

Read the whole article. I couldn't take anything in it seriously.

Reply to
Joe

I'm sure he's refering to the stock car. Sure we know that suspension changes can greatly improve things. I was there in '69 and American '69 cars were terrible at handling. I had a '63 Chev II which was also good- at handling, but was quite a bit better when I did mods similar to what you mentioned. But it certainly wasn't stock then, was it?

Reply to
Spam Hater

Replacing bushings hardly counts as a "change." No geometry is altered at all. The biggest difference is just putting sticky tires on. And a few of the cars did get ordered with all the sway bars stock, but far too many didn't since they weren't standard equipment.

So was I, and I disagree completely. The popular GMs (Cutlass, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, 442, etc) wallowed like pigs in slop, and that's what everyone remembers. Mopar A- and B- bodies handled MUCH differently from other American cars.

Reply to
Steve

I had a 71 Dodge Dart Swinger and my sister had an older 4 door Plymouth. I can't remember anything good about their handling and the Swinger was so loud on the highway you had to scream at each other to be heard over the road noise. I prefer to forget the so-called good old days. The leaf springs on the Dart didn't last. The disk brakes froze up in Rochester road salt.

Reply to
Art

I doubt the accuracy of your memory, then.

I prefer to forget the so-called good old days.

Your loss. I'll be driving a 60s or 70s Mopar as long as cars are allowed to run on gasoline.

Reply to
Steve