Impressed with Dodge Caliber

We have had a Dodge Caliber SXT for one month now, having traded in a

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible, and are very impressed with the quality and gas mileage of the vehicle. We have never gotten below 25 and so far have almost gotten 30 on a short trip to Kennedy Space Center. The car is very tightly built, we love the CVT smooth shifting and the cruise control keeps it around 1500-2000 rpms at all time, accounting for the good mileage. The last Dodge that I owned was a 70 Dart Swinger, 225 Slant six, the other cars being Chryslers. My family has owned Chrysler cars since the 1940's, and I own a 1940 restored Royal coupe. I have heard many good things about the Caliber, but I wonder why the name Dodge is nowhere to be found on the car?
Reply to
<CountFloyd

"CVT" and "Shifting" (no matter how smooth) don't belong in the same sentence. Is it true that the Caliber CVT "fakes" shifts rather than just holding the RPM constant as speed increases? And if so, have you checked into the rumor that the controller can be re-flashed to make it

*really* be a CVT?
Reply to
Steve

CVT's, those things are like big snow-mobile clutches......

Reply to
Ron S.

Many people "expect" to fee some sort of "shifting activity" in their transmissions, whether CVT or not. CVTs also take a little getting used to in driving them, as some of our Nissan techs had to instruct Murano customers of how to drive the vehicles to let the CVT act as it should. A steady throttle foot during acceleration keeps things going as they should, rather than into and out of the throttle as some people tend to do when "the feel" is not right to them.

Even Nissan has "gear" selections in their CVTs, to mimic certain gear ratios for manual shifting capabilities. Not everybody is ready for (or used to) the ole DynaFlow feel of smoooooth acceleration with little engine rpm change.

I suspect that Chrysler's foray into CVTs will work better than GM/Saturn's and Ford's did. Nissan's had full CVT coverage for a couple of model years now, but not in the more powerful Infinity line. It doesn't seem to have hurt sales or have received consumer resistance, especially as it is now billed as a fuel economy booster.

Enjoy!

C-BODY

Reply to
C-BODY

"Steve" wrote

The couple I've tested held a constant rpm with a constant throttle setting. Some models do, however, have an "autostick" setting which allows them to be manually shifted through 6 speeds.

I think they work great if properly set up. Plus they have far fewer parts than any other types of transmission, manuals included.

Reply to
Dave Gower

You will have to resist resisting change. CVT is the way of the future, it just makes sense.

Reply to
Josh S

You COMPLETELY boofed your understanding of what I was saying. Read it again, with feeling.

My whole point was that its looney to take a perfectly good CVT (which I agree is the way of the future apart from hybrids) and then program it to "shift" like a regular automatic just so customers won't think it "feels odd."

Reply to
Steve

Ha. Not if Chrysler has their way. Dual clutch, here it comes:

Jalapeno

Current CVTs can't handle as much torque as conventional automatics or manuals, but "manumatics" may just be a stopgap for heavier duty vehicles until higher torque-capable CVTs are developed. Then again, automatically shifting manual transmissions have been used for a long, long time on 18-wheelers. I was skeptical the first time I was shown an Eaton auto-manual on an 18-wheeler. I'd heard the driver pull it in, and it sounded exactly like a conventional 18-wheeler shifting. But it was all being done by the computer, not the driver, and he proved it to me by taking me for a turn around the compound in it. Very odd sensation to feel the engine drop to idle, hear the gears change, and then the power come back on without the driver moving a muscle. This was circa 1998, and it was a Freightliner with a Cummins N-14 and Eaton transmission and axles.

Reply to
Steve

You're confusing the future with the present. CVTs aren't there yet for serious torque output -- I don't think Chrysler is using it for anything bigger than a 2.4? While I expect them to get there, I also expect it to take long enough that a new transmission family can be developed, produced, amortized, and regarded as "old" first.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I'm going by this statement in the article:

The transmission will be used with the Phoenix V6 to create one of the world's most advanced powertrains. If it works well, and sees customer acceptance, it could replace both conventional automatics and CVTs at Chrysler.

To me, that says that CVT's may have a short future at Chrysler, if customers like the dual-clutch transmissions.

I could be wrong, of course, because I don't know the background of the article's author and who his source is.

Reply to
Jalapeno

I've see it. More complexity, but useful for high power large vehicles.

Reply to
Josh S

I got your point, but what's wrong with shift points? You appear CVT negative, with negative feeling.

Reply to
Josh S

He said what's wrong with shift points in a CVT quite clearly: you're compromising the CVT -- the whole purpose of which is to better match the ratio to the engine than you can do with any number of separate gear ratios -- to provide an artificial feeling for customers who don't understand what's going on.

How exactly do you get from "the way of the future" to "negative"?

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

The whole idea of a CVT is to let the engine get to an optimum RPM for the power demand, and let it STAY at that RPM until the power demand changes. For example, merging on the freeway, the engine revs up to near its power peak, and stays there as the vehicle accelerates, with the CVT changing ratio so that it progressively gets closer to 1:1 but the engine speed doesn't vary. Then when you're at cruise speed, the CVT lets the engine RPM drop to a high-efficiency RPM while holding the vehicle speed constant. By putting in shift points, you make it act just like any old automatic would- engine revs up, and then lugs back down to a sub-optimum RPM and has to dig itself out of the hole all over again.

No, I LIKE CVTs.... provided that they're allowed to do what they're best at and not have "fake" shift points to make them feel like a regular automatic.

Reply to
Steve