Dodge Caliber / Jeep Compass Opinions

I am looking for what people think of the the Dodge Caliber and Jeep Compass. I am looking at ordering a Jeep Compass, early in the new year, and am looking for opinions from those that own either the Jeep, or the Dodge Caliber. I know that both are very simular, and I have seen alot of Calibers, but very few Jeeps.

I tend to avoid purchasing a first year vehicle, however, my current car is on its last legs, and will more then likely not make it till next year.

Any opinions on the new transmission in these vehicles? I personally would rather the manual, but being that my wife will be driving this more often then not, I don't get much say.

Any problems with these vehicles?

Thank you,

Mike mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

Reply to
mike

I'm wrestling with exactly the same decision, with exactly the same timing. Like you I've always preferred manuals, but I love that CVT on both vehicles. I suppose I'd get blasé about it, but that 6-1 ratio range does great things, especially 2100 rpm on the highway, which is amazing for a

4-cylinder car.

Haven't seen any indication of problems yet, but since both the engine and transmissions are brand new only time will tell. Of course, variable valve timing is not really new (and neither are CVTs) so it may not be that risky.

I'm also looking at the HHR, which has the advantage of being in the second year of production and having established a good record for reliability and quality in its first year.

One problem the HHR and Caliber share (and the Compass too in a lesser degree) is rather poor visibility due to thick pillars. I especially dislike the rear view on the Caliber, although few owners complain about it on forums, so maybe I'm worrying for nothing.

I just love the way the seats fold on all three vehicles, particularly that forward-folding front passenger's seat. Why didn't anyone think of that before?

Another thing that appeals to me is the colors available on all three. I think the Caliber looks great in white, the Compass in that smashing Jeep Green, and the HHR really classy in beige. You have to see them in the metal; pictures don't do them justice.

If your car is on its last legs, one way to give it a rest and find out what you like is to rent each one for a week or two. It'll cost a few bucks but it may be a good investment to be sure what you like.

Reply to
Dave Gower

If this is a Jeep then do you intend to sell it used at some point and try to recoup some money out of it? If so, the CVT transmission will not carrythe same resale value as the manual.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Well, its not REALLY a Jeep, its a little station wagon with a Jeep name on it. So I don't think the CVT is going to be an issue as it would be if this were a Wrangler or a (wish they still made them) Cherokee.

Reply to
Steve

"Ted Mittelstaedt" wrote

Why is that? I am not a traditional jeep owner and presumably neither would be the next buyer.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Traditional Jeep people are attracted to a "Jeep".

Reply to
who

Having been burned a few times I always wait a few model years on a new mechanical design. Everything mechanical is new with the Caliber.

The CVT also interests me, but I'm wondering why we see auto transmissions going up to 6 and 8 speeds. I would definitely rent any car before I buy, as I've done for my last 2 cars which I've been very happy driving.

Reply to
Some O

Reply to
Grenamier

It has nothing to do with that. I kind of wonder if you have ever bought a used car you don't think like the typical used car buyer.

A used car buyer is going to prefer a manual since manuals are simpler and have less to go wrong, and when they do go wrong, they are less expensive to fix.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

A very small percentage of people still want to change gears. Doesn't matter if they are buying new or used. Hell, nobody under the age of

40 even knows how to change gears anymore. If you are buying for resale get the CVT.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

True for most car models. Not true for offroad or economy vehicles.

Not true. But, my statement earlier was too simplistic anyway, just as yours is, so I'll clarify it.

If your NOT buying for resale, get whatever you want. But, if you are, what matters is WHEN you are going to sell it.

If your going to sell it in 2 years then Steve is probably right, people will go for the CVT. But if your going to sell it in 10 years that's a different story. Used vehicle buyers of 10 year old vehicles are going to go for the most reliable vehicle that somewhat matches what they are looking for, and a simpler transmission is worth more.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I think you meant to say nobody over 40 - baby boomers didn't shift gears.

That preference might be true, but there's no reason to speculate about whether there's any value there. I would certainly trust somebody like NADA on this question. I wouldn't even ask it on usenet. Why listen to mindless crap when data are available? It just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, the automotive press has been saying that the CVT is not very likable.. You (OP) will need to really drive it and see just how good/awful it is. That'll matter too, a lot. When you go to resell people will be more aware of all the flaws.

Reply to
Joe

I agree.

Reply to
who

I like the Compass over the Patriot but both vehicles need a decent turbo diesel or even (gasp!) the 2.7 v6 mated to the CVT and the uprated 4x4 system/suspension with the whole drivetrain tuned for performance.

No > So far the reliability has looked really good for the Caliber and there

Reply to
phreak

I would tend to disagree with this statement. This may depend on your location, but I have noticed that the majority of people ages 18 - 30 would rather a manual transmission. The major factors for this is fuel savings and performance. I do not understand however, how the CVT transmission can be beat by the manual 5 speed. In theory, the CVT, if designed and configured correctly, should be better on fuel, and still out perform a manual. There is always 100% power to the road when accelerating (no pause between gears), and the computer can maintain optimal RPM/Gear ratio for either best performance or fuel economy.

I would love to see this transmission in a SRT4 Neon environment. With a good computer program, this would be a fast car, and still get good gas mileage.

This is just my thoughts.

Mike mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

Reply to
mike

I would think that maybe the 2.4l SRT4 engine, but the engine size may lack on the torque needed for the much heavier body. Mike

Reply to
mike

I literally can't think of any person I know under the age of 35 who owns a manual transmission car. I love driving manuals, but I don't even own one any more.

Most 4- and 5-speed conventional automatics ALREADY get better gas mileage than a manual 5-speed or 6-speed in the same vehicle with the same gearing, so a CVT should be better still. When the computer controls the shifts, EVERYTHING can be optimized, unlike when the driver short-shifts or long-shifts and the engine management system has to play along. Back in the pre-electronic days, a good driver could ALWAYS get better mileage out of a manual transmission, but those days ended in the late 80s and early 90s.

Reply to
Steve

If the above is the case, why do EPA mileage stickers on new cars almost always show a 1 to 2 MPG advantage for the car with a manual transmission?

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Being under 35, I would have to disagree with you steve. This may be all depend on where you live too. I know that in most Canadian Cities I have lived in (or have friends in), alot of the people I know would prefer a manual transmission. Most settle with a auto for one of two reasons (both of which I am guilty of);

  1. Take what you can get. Needed a car, got a good deal on an auto.
  2. Have to pre-order the car, and wait approx. 8 weeks for it to arrive. (manual transmission is a special order)

This is just my 2cents. Mike mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

Steve wrote:

Reply to
mike