Intrepid (1994) loose wire to the gauges?

Sometimes they don't light up and activate at all, sometimes they come on eventually, sometimes they work no problems. Headlights work, clock and radio work. What stays dark are the gear indicator lights, the MPH/ Tachometer/Engine temp. gauges, and the odomoeter.

I am guessing the wires are loose or need to be replaced. Only started happening a couple days ago, it has been intermittent. It isn't the only car I can use so not a major headache, just looking to get it fixed soon, the Intrepid is my preferred go to car for commuting around town.

Reply to
David E. Powell

If you don't mind pulling the instrument cluster out, you could reseat the connections. My guess is a bad ground, since that is typically what multiple items have in common. The gauges in modern cars are driven by the PCM/ECU, so it's also possible the problem is on that end of the link.

HTH

Reply to
Gyzmologist

OK. I'll take a look at that and see if I can "wiggle" it back to goodness. That would be much better than having it be the electronic module.

Thanks Gyz!

Reply to
David E. Powell

OK, quick update:

I pulled out the instrument cluster and tried reseating it. The situation remained unchanged; turn signal arows blinked but none of the dials or the odometer powered up. (It did go on a couple times going down the road, but 99 percent of the time it isn't working.) Then I checked the clips and wires as far as I could see behind the panel, I popped out the little connector boxes and checked the wire leads into them, they looked OK. No luck there as far as finding a cause. Finally I checked the fuse box, and replaced the fuse to the gauges with the backup "5" fuse from the backup board. (Really cool of them to have a set of backups, one of each type, clipped onto the plastic access panel "just in case.") No luck there. Either I got two bad fuses in a row or that's not the problem. Hm.

I tried to check the wires that went from the engine compartment into the holes in the firewall, they were oily but looked intact, jiggling them isn't doing much of anything. So I wonder if I need to take it in. Hm.

Reply to
David E. Powell