300M: Crash test improvement by software upgrade?

Hi,

In the following link there are crash test results for the Chrysler

300M year 1999-2000 and 2001-2004 models:

The crash test results were "not so good" for the 1999-2000 models. The results were improved in later models partly as Chrysler changed the airbag deployment characteristics.

Does anybody happen to know, if the models 1999-2000 could be improved by software update so that the airbag deployment characteristics are equal to the later "improved" models?

Br, TSa

Reply to
tsaar2003

The airbag control module (also called ORC - Occupant Restraint Controller - located right of drivers right foot - on the side of the hump behind the console cladding is where the firmware resides) firmware is where this improvement resides. If they didn't change the connector, then I would think the earlier and later modules are interchangeable, and the improvements could be effected by simply swapping out the original module with a later one.

It could be that the dealers show the older module part numbers superceded by the later ones. If you find that to be the case, then that would confirm that it's a matter of swapping in a later one. Here's the P/N for the '99 ORC: 4602350AC - see if it's superceded by a later number

(For reference, '03 and '04 P/N is 4602406AC; '00 thru '02 is 4602430AF)

It may be that they would obsolete the old ones and replace with new (that they would be interchangeable) - but there's no guarantee of that.

Maybe Glenn knows the answer or can research it.

If you do find that the modules are interchangeable, you should be able to find airbag control modules by whatever year you want on www.car-partcom for under $50.

The above is provided for reference and needs to be verified - it is up to you to find the correct information before making any changes.

Bill Putney

Or you could simply wear your seat belt. There is a reason that the airbag system is called the SUPPLEMENTAL Restraint System.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Thanks Bill. I was almost certain that it will be you who would answer this question =) Spending that $50 might be a good idea. I will ask the local dealer if they can verify the I could use an upgrade.

Reply to
tsaar2003

Ted,

I always wear the seat belt when I am in a moving car. And if you look closely at the crash test dummy, it was also wearing the belt. The belt will keep you in place, but apparently it does not totally protect you from hitting your head to the steering wheel.

br, TSa

Reply to
tsaar2003

You're welcome. Let us know what you find out.

Reply to
Bill Putney