Headlights don't work - not related to burnt out bulbs

Car is a 1995 Mazda Protege DX with just over 70K miles. I'll try to be as informative as I can to give all the information needed to offer help.

-About two weeks ago, my headlights would blink on and off when I activated my right turning signal. I could hear clicking coming from the vicinity of my steering wheel when I flicked the turn signal upwards to activate the right blinkers. To avoid flashing my lights at someone, I quit using my right turning signal at night.

-Fast forward to yesterday, I get in my car about 5 p.m. (almost dark) and turn forward the signal to activate the low beams. Nothing happens. My headlights will not turn on in the normal state. I notice though that if I hold the turn signal downwards about a half inch, they will turn on. So, in a nutshell, I have to drive with one hand on the wheel and one hand on the turn signal, holding it down, for my headlights to stay on.

A few things to note. It isn't only the headlights that go out, its everything associated with them. When I'm holding the signal down for the headlights to work, the dash lights are on and the clock is dim. When the lights go off, the dash lights go off and the clock brightens. I've also had it where the headlights are on, and the dash lights are off and the clock is dim, though I always thought this wasn't possible.

Anyone with any ideas? If you need more information, respond and I'll try to explain the best I can.

Reply to
johnson.alex