Intrepid 2.7 Engine Noise

Our 99 Intrepid 2.7 engine seems to have a small ticking sound in the engine. Usually when you step on the gas a little or put it down to pass.. seems fine at idol. Anyone else experience this and know a fix other than tearing the top end apart? It has 160,000 KMs on it. Thanks

Reply to
ham

Could be lots of things that I will list below.

At that mileage, it may be valve train wear, or the timing chain could be worn and making the noise. If that slips more than a couple of teeth or breaks, there will be expensive damage. You need to determine if that is the problem. I don't known if there is a way to determine that without going into it in which case, with this mileage, if you do go in, you might as well replace the chain, guide, tensioner, and water pump. Several hundred dollar job. (One philosophy might be to avoid the expense and sell it now, or take your chances and drive unless and until it self destructs - then make the decision to sell or junk it or replace the engine at that time. I see over on wwww.dodgeintrepid.net forums that 2.7L cores are selling for $400 - high demand due to sludge related self-destruction).

Also, as you may know, this engine is prone to sludging under less than ideal conditions. However, since it has gone this long, yours seems to have done OK without serious sludging (probably highway miles combined with good routine maintenance). The noise may be due to some dirt or clogging of a valve lifter (lash adjuster). I would do a controlled, gradual cleanout by doing an oil change and putting 1/4 qt. of Marvel Mystery Oil or Sea Foam in the crankcase. Change oil and filter again at 1000 miles , again adding 1/4 MMO or Sea Foam. Repeat again at 2000 miles, then again at 3000 miles. Continue with oil and filter changes every 3000 miles. Notice filter gets changed and MMO or Sea Foam gets put in at every oil change. Do not use a "sudden" Rislone type flush. Doing so could release 160,000 km's of accumulation and prove fatal to the engine.

I will say also that on the

forums I have seen many similar complaints in which it was eventually reported by the OP that a worn serpentine belt or tensioner mimicked internal engine noise, and that replacing one or more of those items got rid of the noise.

HTH.

Bill Putney

i agree with bill's response. this engine is well known for sludging and most likely that the timing chain is making the noise. i've seen it many times that that the chain is rubbing against the water pump. if timing chains needs to be replace you should also repalce timing chain tensioner, water pump and all the guides.

Reply to
tdodge

Great info....Thanks guys...will look into your suggestions. Thanks Again

Reply to
ham

I'd suspect the chain also, but if the sound is dependent on the engine LOAD, not just speed, it might be as simple as an exhaust leak. Exhaust leaks often sound like "ticks," and are usually mistaken for valve train noise. The difference is that valve train noise changes with engine speed regardless of load, but an exhaust leak will get louder when the engine is under a load.

ham wrote:

Reply to
Steve