Is it time to break up with my 98 Stratus

When and or how do you determine when it's time to stop repairing your car and get a new one?

I have a 98 Dodge Stratus, with about 80K miles on it. The car has been paid off for about 2+ years now, some I'm reluctant to get a new car payment. However, about once a year I get hit with a big repair bill. This year it was around $900 for a new water pump, timing belt, timing belt tensioner, cooling system flush, oil change etc. Last year it was around $850 for a new head gasket, oil change, coolant, etc.

$1000 spread out over 12 months is about $83. However a what point do you stop? You'll never get a repair bill that will equal a car payment spread out over a year. But at some point it must stop making sense repairing a car. I guess I need to know whether or not I'm close to that point.

MP

Reply to
Mbwun

You should have had them replace the water pump and timing belt last year when the head gasket was done, you would have probably only had to pay for the parts. Only you know how well you have maintained this vehicle. If the oil has been changed at the proper intervals and the vehicle isn't all beat up it should last a few more years. Did you try and get Chrysler to pay for the head gasket or part of the job when you had it done?

My opinion

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Had I known the water pump would be going I would have. However they didn't suggest that I replace the water pump back then. The dealer did not mention anything about the possibility of the head gasket. The car had 70K+ miles on it, and had been outside the extended warranty for about a year.

The car has had all the regular maintenance and oil changed regularly. It isn't beat up and in good condition.

You 're a Chrysler Tech what is the official lifespan of a 98 Stratus? Has Chrysler fixed the engine issues. I hate to say it, but I'm afraid to purchase another Chrysler vehicle.

Reply to
Mbwun

The headgasket was a known problem with these cars. The only other problems that I have seen in this newsgroup have been with the power windows, and an occasional BCM failure. I don't recall many transmission problems on these cars.

I too, have a 1998. Since having the headgasket replaced more than two years ago, it has been mostly regular maintenance.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

I cant put a date on a vehicle. These vehicles will last years as long as they are maintained, We get the with 150k plus. Yes they had head gasket problems and the ones that had the 3/36 with up to 70K on them got assistance thru Chrysler, normally paying all the job or splitting the bill with the customer. But me personally, I think it has been a very reliable vehicle.

My opinion

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

For this years service what you are describing is basic vehicle maintenance. Timing belts have to be replaced at regular intervals on any car that has one... And the tensioner and water pump are "might as well" items as you have to take them off to do the job and when they fail the job has to be done all over again. It is a shame that the person who did your repair last year didn't go ahead and replace these parts...

I assume from the listed prices that you are still using the dealer for service? If so start shopping around for an independent mechanic. You should see a drastic reduction in price by moving away from the dealer.

I usually figure when the monthly repair bills are more than a new car payment it is time to get a new one or if I am near the end of life for the vehicle and a major component goes out (engine or trans) then I will replace it. In this case you could easily get another 100k out of this car if you have kept up with the maintenance on it. I would find a good mechanic and keep enjoying the car payment free months.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

As long as the repair costs are less than the debt cost for a replacement vehicle, why would it not make sense? The other factor, of course, is convenience. A lot of repairs means a lot of time in the garage and lost use of the vehicle. Also, if many of the failures leave you stranded on a deserted road, that gets old also. However, from a purely economic perspective, it is often cheaper to keep repairing a car for a long time.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I'm not a Chrysler Tech, but I can tell you that there is no such thing as an official lifespan. The life of any car is highly variable. Drive the car infrequently and don't maintain it, and you can kill the best car in less than 50,000 miles. Drive a car often and far enough to get it thoroughly up to temperature and maintain it rigorously and 200K isn't a big deal.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

you don't

Re-read what you just wrote above. repeat it over and over and over, until the truth of what you wrote finally sinks in.

You are abso fraggin lutely right. It -always- makes more economic sense to keep a car maintained and keep repairing it forever, because you will never pay depreciation on it. That is why a new car is more expensive. Depreciation never drove anyone a mile in a car but money spent on repair parts certainly does.

However, there IS a point that it becomes impossible to keep an old car running for everyone. It is different for different people, though. Here are some of the points that are important to some people, maybe even you:

1) You just get completely sick and tired of looking at the same car, day after day and wants something different just to have something different. 2) The car gets so old spare parts are not easily available anymore 3) The body gets rusted or smashed or otherwise trashed.

4) the car is so old that you can't find a mechanic anymore who understands how it operates, and you don't do your own work.

Those are some of the common reasons it stops making sense. Notice none of them are economic reasons.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

My '97 Stratus just blew the tranny at 220,000 Miles (currently in the shop being rebuilt because I don't do automatics). No complaints here, this has been an extremely reliable car over the years; hell, it even has the original factory battery in it still! I think I spend on average about $30 per month on maintenance (until the tranny that is). I had the head gasket problem, Chrysler took good care of me; it had

86,000 miles on it at the time and was a previous rental car (I am persistent)

As long as you maintain your car well, it will last a very long time. I had a '78 Datsun 510 that I got from my parents when I graduated from high school; they bought it brand new with 7 miles on it. When the fire department cut me out of it (thank you red light running twit), it had over 870,000 on it.

Reply to
dotsdave

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 05:18:08 -0800, "Ted Mittelstaedt" wrote:"Ted Mittelstaedt" , Ted Mittelstaedt

I just got a 05 Sebring convertable, as the eventual replacement for my 89 Olds Ciera with 201K miles that I also bought NEW. I still drive the 89 and will keep it till it's junk or won't pass inspection. the windshield has cracked in the same spot for the second time in 2 years due to rust on the frame, the bottom of the doors are rusted out. I just may pay the $200 for a windshield if needed for inspection to keep it on the road. So far I use the 89 for the 60 mile R/T to work and the convertable is under a cover on work days. $200 for struts 5 months ago.. Electrical system repairs and easy mechanical repairs I always did myself. before I got the 05 , my 89 was my only car.

keep it till repair costs = payment costs or one of the other reasons

Reply to
Mr X