850 50,000 mile check

What is called for for an 850 50,000 mile check? Timing belt? Engine seals?

Please advise.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
Chuck Fiedler

Depending on the age of your 850, nothing much or quite a lot!

Obviously Oil&Filter etc, but if it was made before 1994 model year then a timing belt change too. If you register (free obviously!) for the Volvo owners circle at

you can get the serviceschedules and handbook for your car (and most other semi-recent Volvos). AJ

Reply to
AJ MacLeod

If the car was made before 1994 model year, then it should have already had a timing belt change regardless of how many miles it has on the clock. Those rubber belts deteriorate with _age_ as well as with use.

My dealer said that Volvo recommends, in general, five years max but here in the frozen north, due to our special conditions, every four years. I finally had it done on my '95 850T in 2001, even though the odometer read only 45,000 _kilometres_ at the time.

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Quite right of course! However, if one didn't know for certain that it had been done, it would still be important to do it now. Mind you, as I realised afterwards, I doubt there are many pre 94 850s about that have less than 50,000 miles on the clock...

Reply to
AJ MacLeod

Indeed. But there are presumably _some_. My '95 just went in last month for its 60,000 km (= 36,000 mile) service and if we keep using it at the rate we have been since it was new we won't hit 50,000 miles until approximately March of '06!!

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry