Manual Transmission for Stratus 2.5L V6

I really like my Stratus ES V6, but I wish it had a 5-speed manual transaxle. I have close to 117,000 miles on it now and don't expect the auto-transaxle to get me past 150,000. Given the cost to replace it when it finally does fail, I am considering replacing it with a 5-speed. Seems it would probably cost the same, if not less.

Q: Is there a 5-speed manual transaxle that will bolt up to the Mitsubishi

2.5L V6 that is used in the Cirrus, Stratus, and Sebring cars?

The transaxles used on the 3.0L are not interchangeable between Mitsubishi and Chrysler cars as the engine orientation is reversed. If this is true for all Mitsubishi transaxles it would seem the transaxle would have to be designed for a Chrysler application.

Obviously I will also need a flywheel that bolts up to the 2.5L V6 crankshaft.

Is this possible (within reason)?

Gyz

Reply to
Gyzmologist

tim bur

I can't answer your question, but I'm curious why you think the automatic is about to fail? My 96 Grand Caravan just rolled over

172,000 on its original, untouched 4 speed electronically shifted automatic ... the one that is supposed to fail all of the time. :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Glad to hear that your transaxle has given you such good service. Currently mine is working great, no problems. I just don't know how long these transaxles will last. I service it every 30k-40k miles whether it needs it or not. :O

My father-in-law had a 91 Grand Caravan that had 174,000 miles on it when he got rear-ended. His transaxle was rebuilt at 120,000. Sounds like Chrysler has made significant improvements since then.

Gyz

Reply to
Gyzmologist