Need to replace 41TE in my '96 Caravan.... again

'96 G. Caravan 3.8L. Yuck! It went into limp in mode and, for a while, wouldn't drive (kicked and bucked) and the speedometer would intermittently swing around wildly. I hoped it would be just the output speed sensor. I dropped the pan to change the fluid/filter and there are itty bitty chunks of metal in the pan next to the magnet. Ugh.

My choices are: 1. junk the van and get another one 2. take it to the dealer ($2400) 3. take it to an independent ($????) 4. get a junkyard tranny ($????) 5. get a remanufactured tranny ($650)

Question: I managed to replace the A670 in my '88 Caravan; is it much different to replace the 41TE?

Reply to
David J. Allen

I believe that the speedometer behavior is a key point here. If you did not have the same changes in the car speed, then the speed sensor has an intermittent contact inside, which is more than enough for switching to "limp" mode. At the same time, IMHO, you should have some metal on the magnet - gears, clutches, etc. wear with the time and some amount of particles I would consider a normal condition.

What to do - I would first try to change sensor (around $20) or run diagnostic first if it's free ($80+ at dealer place). Then - depends on diagnostic results...

I personally had rebuilt my 42LE for 3 weeks in my garage (Shop manual, repair kit from dealer ($200), working on weekends and evenings, no such an experience before...) I have 25k miles on it now. Should be OK?

Good luck, Alex

intermittently

Reply to
Alex

intermittently

Reply to
jdoe

"Chunks" or fuzz on the magnet? Fuzz (and even a few flakes) is normal. Chunks bigger than a pencil lead are bad.

Basically the same. Wires instead of a speedo cable, but the convertor bolts on the same way, as does the bellhousing, and so do the half-shafts. Not much else to be different, really.

Reply to
Steve

Thanks Larry, I decided I'd had enough transmission R&R (just 3 months ago) so I sent it in to a local shop. We'll see what they say. I spoke with 3 shops and they all said that there's a big supplier in LA they get their remans from as do the dealers. They all said the Mopar remans had less stringent specs than what they required. Curious.

I bought my A670 from Phoenix Remanucaturers 3 months ago. We'll see how that goes. They only wanted $650 for a remaned 41TE. If it were my car, I'd do it, but it's my wifes so I'll go the next tier up.

Reply to
David J. Allen

If I didn't need the van in service, I'd love to try a rebuild on my own. I gave in and sent it in this morning to a local shop. We'll see what they say later on today.

Reply to
David J. Allen

intermittently

No, not fuzz. These are metal chunks around 1mm in size. Maybe 2mm. There wasn't a lot, about 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon right around the magnet. I took the pan into a couple of shops and in both places mechanics passing by looked down and shook their heads saying "uh oh, not good".

I decided to take it in to a local shop. This is my wife's car and I decided to let the pros do the work. In a couple of years, I'll dump the van. I R&R'd the tranny in my '88 and while it's a big job, it's really not so bad if you have the right tools. The biggest problem is getting the van up high enough and having a tranny jack or some way to grapple the tranny to lower and lift it.

Reply to
David J. Allen

intermittently

Reply to
Dave Best

Dave,

the same thing is going on with my 41te. have not pulled the pan yet. what was the final outcome? let me know soon as I am trying to figure out how much money I will have for christmas gifts this year. thanks!!!!!!!! jack

Reply to
jpritch2