1995 Caravan 2WD 3.3 engine A604/41TE problem

Went into limp home mode. No check engine light. Parked it and next day all ok. A few days later, same thing. It only happens after about 10 or so miles of in town driving, but not every time. The engine flares at

2-3? shift point, then kicks into limp home. Just before it happens, the shifts shudder a little. No slippage that I can detect. Can't check at Autozone, as it resets itself when shutting off the engine. Changed fluid and filter with a Chrysler filter from dealer, and Chrysler ATF+4 fluid. Old fluid not burnt,no grit in pan, magnet had very little fuzz on it. Speedometer still works, so output speed sensor is okay. Put in a new input speed sensor, no change. No fluid leakage anywhere. Dealer wants $130 to hook up and test. Any checks I can do myself? I can't seem to find a wiring diagram anywhere for this thing, So if I have to check a circuit, could you please tell me which pin(s) on which connector(s) to check?

Ideas I've found on the internet, take with a grain of salt:

1) solenoid pack (install it, you own it)

2) EATX? box (Trans Control Module?)

3) TCM relay ( huh?)

4) get TCM flashed (it worked before)

4) replace transmission (very expensive)
Reply to
Steve Walker

Sounds like the 94 I just had repaired. There was a wiped-out spline set. $1600 (Cdn) for the overhaul incl. convertor.

Reply to
cavedweller

Went though those symptoms with a '90 VW Passat. 64 Kmiles , one replaced tranny, two replaced valve assemblies, 7 controller cards, and many minor attempts, all under warranty, VW did what the service manager at the dealer had suggested at about 12K miles. They replaced the wiring harness and the intermittent limp home mode ceased to occur and I drove the car for another

100K before trading it in on a Camry. Good Luck
Reply to
tak

Check the little stuff first- it could be as simple as a bad output speed sensor.

The flare during the shift makes me worry that it's internal/mechanical, but its not a foregone conclusion.

Reply to
Steve

I reported the same flare to my repair shop. Scan, unhappily, showed a Code 53. The OD shaft spline was in bad shape and the "guzzinta" was wiped almost clean.

I now have a spare couple of sensors, too Dealer wanted $C85 for a scan so I checked his parts guy and bought the two sensors for about the same price.... (Ayup, we can hope, can't we?).

Think the best bet is/would be a reputable transmission shop, diagnosis, then repair or reman. as necessary.

Reply to
cavedweller