Neon overcharging problems

My charging/Battery system lamp came on a few days ago and there after that I noticed a strong acid smell coming from the engine compartment. I figured it was coming from the battery and sure enough the area around the top caps were wet. I applied a meter to the battery and at first with the engine running it appeared to charging at 12.5 volts. After a few more seconds it went slowly up to top out at about 16 volts (The meter reads no higher) This is my work car (My Jeep get about 14-15 mpg) and I really have to keep repair costs down so what possible could I do to further troubleshoot and reapir my Neon. P.S. Engine Trouble codes at present 35,46 & 42 Thanks In Advance

Reply to
Carlos Hathcock

And what year was that engine compartment (and the rest of the car) built?

You've got more than just charging problems, or you've misread the codes:

35: Cooling fan relay circuit open or shorted 46: Charging system voltage too high or too low
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern